Our trip begins


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
December 26th 2011
Published: December 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

IstanbulIstanbulIstanbul

Aya Sofia
Our first day in Istanbul was quiet. We arrived in the morning after a 10 hour flight and since our room wasn't ready, we decided to take a walk and explore the area. We are staying minutes away from Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque. John and I walked over to the plaza where these two impressive buildings stand, almost side by side. You can stand in the middle of the plaza, sip freshly squeezed pomagranate juice, and look from left to right comparing the two buildings they are a perfect example of cultural competition. When the Ottomans took over the city during the 17th century, after nearly 700 years of trying, the mosque was built next to Aya Sofia to illustrate to the people that Islam was as great a religion as Christianity.

Our first experience with the call to prayer came after a pretty interesting presentation in a rug dealer's shop which was supposed to end with us spending 500 to 14,000 dollars on a handmade Turkish rug, but didn't. As we were retracing our steps through the courtyard of the Blue Mosque to get some much needed sleep all of the city's mosques erupted in the plea
Istanbul Istanbul Istanbul

A view of Asia
to come and pray. Listening to the call we watched men washing in the outdoor spigots under the Blue Mosque, in preparation for prayer. The call is intense and universal. While it is clearly Islamic, hearing it in person leaves no question that god is god no matter the dogma or costume.

After our nap we went to touristy spot right near our hotel. We had some very nutty hummus, one of us had hot spiced red wine, adana, and kofti. Everyone told us before we came to try the apple tea and they were all on point with that recommendation, it is delicious.

Tommorrow we plan to visit the interiors of the Aya Sofia and the Blue Mosque. Incidently the hotel couldn't be better it is a simple little place owned by Turkish family that care for thier guests and are quick to offer advice and handle any details you need handled. From the breakfast room there is a view across the Bospurus of Asia, the girl that checked us in lives in Asia and works in Europe, the ferry is 2 Turkish Lire (about $1.10).


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Istanbul Istanbul
Istanbul

Hot mulled fruited wine


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb