Istanbul 2


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
August 24th 2011
Published: August 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One word I can use to describe Turkey is ornate. From the delicate pastries in the shop windows, to the complex patterns of tiling, to the exquisite porcelain design, a tendency toward the ornate is reflected everywhere. There is a craft fair set up next to the Blue Mosque right now in anticipation of Ramadan that displays all kinds of craft items, including glass painting, porcelain and ceramics, reliefs, textiles, calligraphy, etc.

Istanbul sits on the Bosphorus, which links the Sea of Marmara with the Black Sea and joins the European and Asian parts of Istanbul. It's easy to find a boat cruise up and down the Bosphorus from the port at Eminonu. I found one for only ten lira ($7) although it left almost 30 minutes later than the scheduled time. What a bargain for a beautiful cruise lasting for 1.5 hours.

Back at Eminonu, there are vendors frying fish on small boats that rock furiously on the waves. It's amazing that the waves don't interfere with their cooking. The fish is served in a sandwich with vegetables and lemon juice and sells for 4 lira ($2.50) for a large sandwich.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb