Galata Bridge & Tower and surrounding area


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Beyoglu
October 1st 2010
Published: April 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We decided to go across the river to explore the other side of Istanbul. We walked to the Galata bridge. You can walk under the bridge to the other side or you can walk across the bridge itself. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the other side.

If you decide to walk underground there are a number of shops selling small trinkets, umbrellas, small toys etc. It's quite busy underneath there so also be careful of your purse/wallet in busy areas.

On the other side there are a number of small shops, very reminiscent of Europe with the cobblestone roads and winding hilly roads leading up to the tower. The walk to get to the tower is another 10-15 minutes considering you are walking up hill. Once you get there you can pay to go into the tower and walk up to the top. There is typically a line up to get into the tower.

We ended up walking back to Istanbul across the bridge. It was a beautiful day and the sun was shining. We saw a lot of people who were fishing over the bridge. We weren't sure what kind of fish they were catching or if they were eating this fish, but everyone was doing it. By the time we got back to the other side, a red boat pulled up and was selling fish sandwiches for $3.00. I got bought one and was eating it. The boat was amazing and the crowd was going crazy for the sandwiches.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb