A Day at ANZAC Cove


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
April 25th 2009
Published: April 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

ANZAC Cove to Avyalik


NZ service with Navy band playing Maori BattalionNZ service with Navy band playing Maori BattalionNZ service with Navy band playing Maori Battalion

The crowd really got into the "oohh ahh" bit and the VIP's were surprised,except the GG and MP's of course
The light in the sky increased as the dawn service came to an end although we awaited the sun with eagerness to try and get a feeling of warmth back into our bodies.The VIP's headed off including our GG and Crusher Collins ,Min of VetAffairs both who had spoken very well at the service.Amazingly even in this huge crowd there wasnt a queue for the portaloos.Perhaps people had thought there would be more along the road.So we both took advantage even though it was a challenge with packs on our backs and the bodies still chilled so that even when we were walking one had this trembling feeling.I didnt think it was possible to actually stay awake for such a long period but perhaps like daughter Erin,I didnt want to fall asleep in case the cold made it permanent !!.
Toilet succesfully completed we joined the throngs to hoof it along the beach road.One could picture what it would have been like except there were thousands of soldiers rather than ANZAC pilgrims trudging the road which of course would have only been a dirt gulley of sorts and they would have been dodging Turkish bullets while we were looking out for
After the dawn service.After the dawn service.After the dawn service.

Who is the guy in the funny hat?I was chilled to the bone and it was only the pointy hat keeping my head warm
the rising sun.The hill called the Sphinx stood out with the sun on it as we made our way to Military road and the climb up through one of the valleys the ANZACs tried to take and hoild 94 years ago.Apparently until about 10 years ago the coastline was covered in pines but a large fire cleared all that and the vegetation had reverted to what was here in 1915.Thick scrub with a plant that looked like a broom but with sharp spikes.This would have made the trek the soldiers faced to try and get a foothold even that much harder.The herd of people heading either for the Aussie service at Lone Pine or NZers heading for Chanuk Bair stretched out ahead and behind us.As we climbed up there were spectacular vistas of the coastline and the sea now twinking in the ever rising sun.The soldiers would not have been able to enjoy what we were seeing and one can imagine how much they would rather have been back on their ship or more probably home not having realised what they would face having signed up to what was turning out to be a military disaster.
We stopped part way
Sleeping bags to attentionSleeping bags to attentionSleeping bags to attention

As the dawn service started those in sleeping bags stood up to get a better view.This was the crowd on the grass in front of the stand we spent the night camped in.
up the winding track not just to take photos of the hundreds streaming up the track behind us but to also catch our breath.We were pleased to see the Turkish Red Crescent were on hand with stretchers in case of need.
We passed on by the Aussie Lone Pine service area and the crowd thinned out as we hit the road up to Chanuck Bair.We knew the area for sitting was small and we wanted to get a good seat for the most important service of the day.
As we marched on we caught up with 4 Kiwis who we got chatting to and one turned out to be Maire and Graemes (R&O neighbours in Tauranga) nephew who was living in Ireland.R&O can you mention to Maire and Graeme we saw their nephew on the way up the hill on ANZAC Day.It really is a small world.
As we arrived onto the Chanuck Bair site hundreds of flag waving Turks mostly young people headed on their way down to the Turkish service to be held at a site between Lone Pine and Chanuck Bair.There were smiles all round as we have experienced this trip as we have found the Turks to be so friendly.
We got a good seat in the stand with a side on view to where the speeches would happen.
We were there 3 hours odd before the service was due to start and the seating was not as good as down at ANZAC Cove so it was a matter of sitting on the Kathmandu pillows and making the best of a numb bum.
We did people watching and talking to those around us,all Kiwis of course, and time passed quickly.The NZ Navy band came out and played 30 minutes before the VIP's arrived and got everyone in the mood with a rousing rendition of Maori Battilion and everyone joined in with the Ooh Aah bit when the conducter gave us the instruction.Some of the young people took a couple of goes to do it with the same verve Gretchen and I hit it with.
Eventually 12.30 arrived and so did the VIP's,the GG,Crusher Collins etc etc etc and even some Turkish vets in funny hats,well they looked funny.
The GG spoke very well as did the Ambassador to Turkey who had family at ANZAC Cove in WW1.The service was interspersed with music and it made us feel quite homesick to be amongst all those NZers doing something very NZ and such a long way from home.It does give one a great sense of pride.
After the wreath laying the band struck ujp Maori Battalion again and this time the crowd gave the Ooh AAh some real voice which surprised the VIPs who werent Kiwis including the Duke of Kent who is looking very aged.
At the conclusion the GG and Crusher Collins asked for barriers to be moved so they could come over and shake hands and chat to the Kiwis on the grass.A very nice gesture that we dont think happened down at the Aussie service.Then from down on the grass below the main area a Maori haka struck up and again the departing VIP's looked a little suprise although it bought a smile to the faces of the GG and Mrs Collins.
We left the area to wait for our bus feeling a great sense of pride and so pleased to have been able to attend this most famous of places overseas for NZers and to have been part of a very special day.We wouldnt have missed it for the world !!
The trial waiting for our bus amongst the other 200 odd buses was demanding as we were tired and the sun was hot with little shade.
Eventually the bus turned up after an hour or so waiting and we were on our way down to catch the ferry across to Canackale and onto Ayvacik on the Asian side of this country.
We saw little of the countryside as we were both dead dog tired and the swaying of the bus soon had us asleep like almost everyone else on the bus.What we did see between fits of sleep looked very attractive coastline.
We made it to the hotel just on 8pm and after a quick shower joined eveyone for a buffet meal and then it was off to bed.
As we have said before the day was a very memorable one and we are so pleased to have been able to experience it.Now we will have photos and video as our memories.

Advertisement



26th April 2009

You can't beat that sense of pride at being a Kiwi - a similar feeling to being in London on Waitangi Day...only more alcohol involved :-P And now you can *imagine* how I thought I was going to die of exposure on that beach 3 years ago!
27th April 2009

Probably best that you were asleep cos that road was pretty hairy, with a very steep cliff at one point....and I felt it was my duty to stay awake and make sure that our bus driver did the same!
28th April 2009

duke of kent
did you know the duke of kent came in our restaurant in whakatane. cormac was then 4 yrs old.

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb