Just Floatin'


Advertisement
Published: May 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We spent a wonderful 12 hour overnight bus trip from Olympos to Goreme in Capadoccia. They are a bit posh on the Turkish buses. They actually have a host that comes around and serves coffee, tea, water/cola and cakes. How cool is that?? But we slept most of the way and Kerrie annoyed the bus by coughing, thanks to the bronchitis or whatever it was she had.
We arrived very early in the morning and headed to the Shoestring Pension to stay in caves. So far we had slept on the yacht, then tree houses and now in caves!! After a nap we started to see the sights and headed out on a tour with the rest of the gang. Underground cities, big valleys and fairy chimneys galore. We spent the day travelling around the area then it was onto the whirling dervishes and belly dancers at a Turkish Night. We scored big with the Turkish night and ended up paying, not a whole lot. The best part about the Turkish nights is that it includes the entertainment, food and unlimited alcohol. i dont mean just beer and wine in abundance, I'm talking spirits. They bring you bottles of Vodka and Raki (Turkish national drink like ouzo) and leave them on your table to help yourself. And they just keep bringing more and more alcohol. there were about 30 of us so you can imagine how fast the drink was going. The entertainment was awesome and then everyone was up and dancing with the Turks. We, of course, were the last to leave and after being shuffled out everyone headed to the club. Much of a memory blank for Dave then and he apparently spent the whole night dancing up a storm and carrying 2 beers all night. Double parked, very naughty!!! The next day as he walked down the street he was getting recognised by all the locals, but he couldnt remember any of them. He even had one of their cards in his pocket!! hmmmm.
Day 2 in Capadoccia was the UFO Museum. That was like something I will never see again. We said goodbye to our buddies that night and headed to bed early as we were up very early to go Hot Air Ballooning!!!!
Up early, then we were up in the balloons. it was a little cloudy so no famous sunrise for us but it was still amazing. We were up and down all through the valleys then after 45 minutes it was time to land. quite an art to landing but you cant always be very accurate. We landed in the middle of the road and stopped traffic. Then they popped the basket, with all of us still in there, onto the trailor and drove off the road and onto a hill. We sat in the basket on about a 45 degree angle for a few minutes before they decided to help us out. Then the fun part, Champagne at 7am!!! woo hoo!! After the excitement of the ballooning we hired a motorbike to cruise about and see more of the valleys in the area, including the much anticipated Penis Valley. Actually called Love Valley but apparently some people refer to it as Penis Valley, We wonder why??
That night it was onto another bloody night bus. We headed west to make our way to the coast with a stop off in a tiny town called Pamukkale.
Famous for its Calcium travertines and ruins, which were awesome. Well the travertines were anyway. The town was very small and offered cheap eats and good accommodation, so we couldnt complain, and the weather was nice and hot. After 2 days we headed to the coast back to Kusadasi for the Greek Islands. Kusadasi was much more exciting 2nd time around. It was warmer and busier and it had Burger King!! It was a nice break from Turkish food but cost a fortune, so back to the kebabs for us!! After more nights drinking away with some new people it was time to say goodbye to amazing Turkey and head to the Greek Islands!!! Yay!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The Views over CapadocciaThe Views over Capadoccia
The Views over Capadoccia

While in the balloon
Fairy ChimneysFairy Chimneys
Fairy Chimneys

These are actually natural!
Crackin the Clay PotsCrackin the Clay Pots
Crackin the Clay Pots

With our dinner inside
Crackin the Clay Pots1Crackin the Clay Pots1
Crackin the Clay Pots1

With our dinner inside


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb