Day 7: Hot Air Balloon + Goreme Open Air Museum + Uchisar + Rose Valley + Pasabagi + Devrent Valley (Red Route)


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Cappadocia » Göreme
April 8th 2011
Published: May 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hot-air-ballooning @ Rose ValleyHot-air-ballooning @ Rose ValleyHot-air-ballooning @ Rose Valley

Sky filled up with balloons!
One of the decision that took a very long to take, is whether we should do the hot air balloon or not. No doubt it will be an exciting experience. But at a hefty 150 euro per person price tag (and only for 1 hour), it’s just ridiculously expensive! It’s just so sad to think how many poor people you could fed with that money.

After tossing and turning, we decided to pull the trigger anyway. Well you've work hard, so it makes sense to play hard. For your conscious you could do good deed separately. Besides, we might never ever go to Cappadocia again.

We got picked up around 5.30 am then the minibus go around to few more hotels before dropping us in their headquarter office (Atmosfer Balloons). We gave them our name and ensure the typing is correct for the post flight balloon certificate. After that they gave us cookies and tea.

I kinda wonder how's that insurance thing is managed. I mean, it was supposed to be the component that made this tour so freakin expensive. But they never even asked our passport number, address or contact person in case anything happened.

Anyway, they drove us to the launch site where the balloon is almost ready to go. The basket is divided into 5 compartments, 1 for the pilot. In each compartment, they are filling it with 6 people! So total there were 24 passengers + pilot! I managed to stand at the corner so can cover both sides. Just praying so that no one bumped me from the behind or else my beloved camera will do sky dive he he...

When your balloon started to float, together with the others, its a magical experience. The ascend felt very smooth. Blue sky and sunrise at the horizon with the Rose Valley underneath you. Just wonderful. My husband is smiling from ear to ear and I'm sure I was doing that as well.

I am expecting it to be frightening, but apparently it wasn't. I am expecting it to be cold, and my coat can warm my body but my fingers almost numb. And was very surprised that my toes were freezing as well (despite of the thick sneakers)!

Pls do check my pictures as it will help to explain the experience much better. I think 1 hour is enough (as it
Goreme Open Air MuseumGoreme Open Air MuseumGoreme Open Air Museum

Amazing sky....
does gets boring if its too long). Tips: for ladies make sure you're wearing pants. No skirts as you'll have to climb to go inside the basket.

Afterwards they returned us to the hotel. We still had time to take breakfast before picked up for our next tour (red route). Different with the green route, I find this red route not very value for money.

First stop they take you to Goreme Open Air museum (15 lira). Apparently it’s still within walking distance from our hotel. We were rushed on this place, being taken (and queue) from one "church cave" to another. From authenticity stand point, logically I'm questioning how come in such a small cpmplex, there's like 5-7 church caves?? Its a nice lce to explore on your own at a leisurely pace. Some churches are uphill where you can climb and get a better view of the valley below.

We were then driven to the leg of Rose Valley; but in each stop, it tends to be short (5-10 mins). What is outrageous is after lunch the tour guide took us to this pottery workshop and have a stopover for 1.5 hours! My husband and
Remind You of Something?Remind You of Something?Remind You of Something?

"Interesting" Shape Rocks @ Cappadocia
I decided to just wait outside and enjoying the blue sky. I thought to myself, what a waste of time.

The next stop Uchisar is more challenging and fun. We hike this hill that had many carved house ruined! (One of them literally had sign "for sale"). It was so scary (like 20 cm wide path, left side: straight downfall!) And because of that it was such an accomplishment for myself (owh, the crazy things I've done just to take great pictures....)

After few snaps on top, we were taken down. In a far, I saw another small group actually walk more around the valley. It was so majestic! Such a shame it was rushed.

We then had couple of more stops in places where the stones looks just like p*nis ha ha… They said “Fairy Chimney” but come on – everyone knows what does it look like. We saw this at Pasabagi and Devrent Valley.

After the tour, we end the day sitting on the side of the main road of goreme. Such a small town. You still see horse carriage passing by! We share a loaf of bread with plain water, and love to one another 😊

We took the minibus to Nevsehir airport. The only flight that small airport had for that evening, back to Istanbul.

In summary I would say, green tour: worth it (as its really far scretched); red tour: better do it yourself. Even better if you can rent a car and drove around.


Advertisement



30th March 2012

Capadocia is a series too
There is a series named Capadocia, that I really recommend. Capadocia made an analysis of the degeneration that happens in the prisons whose victims are the women. Although prison should be a place where criminals learn how to adapt to the normal world and get recover from past errors; it is a corrupt and hostile environment.

Tot: 0.311s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 27; qc: 140; dbt: 0.2026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb