Day 6 - Ankara to Cappadocia 2012


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Ankara
May 7th 2012
Published: March 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we visited the Museum of Anatolian Civilisations, which has some relics that date back to 8,000BC, stone carvings and cave paintings and the like. It also has relics from the Hitite Empire, which existed around 3,000BC, and others which are slightly newer. Some very impressive stuff from the early Bronze age too. It wasn't hugely exciting, but interesting and a good intellectual exercise nonetheless. After this museum, we went to the mausoleum of Mustafa Ataturk, father of modern Turkey. Unfortunately, we had only an hour and a half to see this shrine to an amazing man, I am thoroughly impressed by his achievements. He defeated the Ottoman regime, which had ruled since the 1400s, instituted wide ranging reforms in every sector of life, from educational to intellectual and social changes. I could have spent hours wandering around and reading about him and his life, but this was not to be, and we headed out of Ankara. As we drove across more rolling, green landscape, I noticed 2 things, not much livestock, and no fences anywhere, very different from home.

Lunch was uneventful, we had a good cup of coffee and Mark and Zac shared a pidex which is basically a long, skinny Turkish pizza. Zac said they are delicious. Another 2.5 hour drive, and we reach Sarhatli village, which is basically a third-world community built on top of a historic underground city. Built by Christians as a way to avoid the constant Muslim attacks, this place is a twisting labyrinth built into the layers of volcanic ash. There are cisterns full of water, a working ventilation system, and many hearths for cooking, as well as living quarters and wine cellars. We then drive to Nevşehir, where we are deposited in our hotel for the next 2 nights.

Early start in the morning as it is a hot air balloon ride to see the sunrise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb