Reunion in Turkey and interesting castle explanations


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Ankara
November 30th 2009
Published: January 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

On the bus I realized I texted the wrong number and messaged Fatih after which he called and organized that he would pick us up from the main bus station in Ankara.

Ankara was a pretty nice city. I guess its comparable to Canberra in Australia, Sydney is where its at like Istanbul, but Canberra is the political capital.

I think where Ankara differs is the architecture is older (obviously) but also I felt their was more nature like nice green areas that I didn’t feel they had the same of in Canberra. Though I heard Canberra has awesome pushbike tracks!

Ankara was even sweeter cause we got to meet up with Fatih:O He picked us up at the bus station then took us to his house. Then his mum made us some really tasty Turkish dinner and we were lucky to be hosted by his family who were all so sweet.

Dads first unofficial couch surfing experience!

he next day we had a tasty breakfast thanks to his mum and then we headed to see some of the sights of Ankara.

First we went to Anıtkabir, Atatürk's mausoleum (a popular site with Turkish tourists according to Fatih). Connected to the tomb was the museum which detailed various elements of Turkish culture and also had some interesting information on the Gallopoli war as well as the various invasions Turkey experienced by Greece, France and Italy.

After this we headed to the castle in Artartuk were we received an interesting speech from one of the local boys in I have no idea what language about castles and lihrars and castles and lihrars. Fatih interpretted this as a potential tour the boy was providing for us of the castle and rewarded him for his excellent explanation😊

We stuck around the castle for the nice view then headed to lunch, which was one of Fatih’s favorite places during his studies in university. After lunch we headed to the bus stop to catch our bus to Cappedocia. We accidently took Fatih’s laptop when unloading our bags and had to make Fatih come back to retrieve them!

But on the plus side I got to say a final goodbye to Fatih. Our bus was going to Goereme and terminated at Nevsehir - were we kept being told that it would be 10 minutes until the bus to Goereme came. It was 11:20pm and the bus had not come yet.

Were we destined to stay and sleep it out in Nevsehir bus station?



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 17; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb