May 13th Olu Deniz


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Oludeniz
May 14th 2015
Published: May 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We decided to stay here two nights as we have time to kill, who knows what the next site is like anyway, the roads are tiring for different reasons & we have wifi!

Did I mention the storms yesterday? Huge, massive – lightning that you never see in the UK & thunder like bomb blasts that shake Billy. The roads were like rivers full of silt from the mountains..

Today it was forecast to rain in the morning & afternoon but neither happened. After brekkers a walk into town, 3 streets just all for tourists, mainly Brits, Dutch & German. It is fairly quiet now, though goodness knows what it's like in the summer. We watched the paragliders coming down off the mountains & landing on the beach or 'prom' – the sky seemed full of them – 26 at one point. Some were doubles for the visitors & some were the pros in singles – they went so high that they almost disappeared. We did our bit for the local economy & bought a loaf of bread at 25p for lunch.

Back on site, eaten & now sat typing this. Then 15 minutes ago a Turkish camper arrived – the first we've seen with a smashing couple (Gina & 'Gary') who had returned to Turkey from S. Africa for their summer tour & who had great English. They too were annoyed at no hot water but they tell me it's because of the Blue Flag beach scheme ie it's to discourage showering & detergents going into the groundwater. I guess the logic is that if you shower in a RV you take it away with you or have a strip wash?

Anyway, they recommended a couple of sites not far away that sound great – I think we have planned one anyway on the way to the ferry port. The other isn't far away, in/near a gorge & they grill trout for you; sounds like a longer stay to me, certainly on the return leg! It is called Salkikent Kanyon – Salkikent meaning hidden city so they tell me.


A tortoise came to visit us too this afternoon – Cathy gave him some rocket as we had run out of lettuce. Now, Turkish rocket is particularly hot & fiery....he shot off as fast as he could, which in this case was a tortoise land speed record, no doubt to his watering hole. Made me smile anyway...



Later in the afternoon Gina & Gary came over for a chat with some co-ordinates for the Dyson; for ages until we realised the time & had to get the bbq going.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.278s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb