Knidos


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Marmaris
May 29th 2010
Published: May 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Knidos ancıent harbourKnidos ancıent harbourKnidos ancıent harbour

Used by Roman military
From the sleepy town of Palamut named after the indigenous trees in the bay, we took a taxi to Knidos, one of the rich and famous harbour towns of the Roman age. There has been a settlement at the tip of the Datca peninsula where the Aegean sea meets the Mediterranean, for over 3,000 years, before being destroyed by an earthquake.

Still visible are good examples of Roman temples to the gods as well as several churches from the 3rd and 4th centuries AD. Because of its remote location, it is not a popular destination and we spend a couple of relaxing hours wandering through the ruins. The constant droning of bees fılled the air as they collected pollen from the wild thyme that has overgrown the site.

We spent the afternoon eating fresh bread baked by the taxi drıvers wife, together with a salad made from eggs laid by the taxi drıvers hens that morning and drinking beer on the pebbly beach in front of the taxi drıvers sisters bar. We will be dining tonight at the taxi drivers brother in laws restaurant and eating olives and almonds from the families orchards which have replaced most of the Palamut trees.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Knıdos lıghthouseKnıdos lıghthouse
Knıdos lıghthouse

Where the Agean meets the Mediterranean
Knıdos amphıtheaterKnıdos amphıtheater
Knıdos amphıtheater

Overlooking the harbour


29th May 2010

Greetings from Calgary
I love the description of your taxi driver. He and his family sound quite resourceful. The pictures are lovely and it looks warm there...what a treat! It has been snowing in Calgary for the last two days. This is the first time since records have been kept that we have had snow on May 27. You picked a good time to be away. Enjoy.
29th May 2010

I really enjoyed your Turkey photos and post! I haven't been there yet, but I would like to go. I hear that the Daylan Mud Baths (not sure if i'm spelling that correctly) are really great. My blog is looking for travel photos, reviews, etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email me at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Continued fun on your travels! Heather :)

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb