Day 11 – From ancient Efes full of tourists to Tourist-empty-Denizli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
June 4th 2015
Published: January 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We had asked our host how to get to Efes and found the dolmuç station he was talking about. We visit first ancient Efes and its Celsus’ library, a huge piece of stone, still standing over the other ruins. We met the Chinese man by chance walking though the ruins with his camera and took a picture together, of course. Later, we took a dolmuç towards Selçuk and its fortress, where John the Apostle preached and died, reason why a basilica was built on his tomb. Apparently, Marie the virgin also died there. Selçuk was the first Efes, but as the sea backed up, they had to follow it, to be nearer by the sea. The dolmuç had not any door...



We had booked a bus company called Pamukkale. What a bus service! They even had a steward, walking the aisle to bring coffee, tea, biscuits or whatever during the whole trip.



After Pamukkale bus stop, we were the only tourists left in the bus, which continued to Denizli. Once in Denizli Otogari, we tried to find out how far the hotel was and asked – stupid idea – a taxi driver how long it would take. He assured us that the hotel was about 4 km far away. Tired, we decided to believe him and get into his taxi. About 2 minutes later, we were going out of that taxi, 400m far away. Irritated, I told the bellboy we had just been con by the taxi driver etc and did then the check-in. The bellboy did not understand a word English, what we only realised later on…


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb