Syria and LebanonSept 22-28


Advertisement
Syria's flag
Middle East » Syria
October 30th 2010
Published: October 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a long drive from Amman we crossed into Syria. We camped at the new Kaboun camping ground in Damascus. We set up and went to bed and straight on to Lebanon the next day. We 12 of us started at dawn and we went to Baalbek which must be the best preserved Roman site which we have seen. It is very compact with 3 temples but amazing. Then after a great lunch buffet it was on to Beirut. This a a very European city-mostly rebuilt but some great sights including the American University, old city and of course the infamous Holiday inn still a shell riddled with bullet injuries. On again back to Damascus. We spent a pleasant time exploring the covered Souk and enjoying coffee,mosques and generally enjoying this friendly city. Roman ruins again -this time at Palmyra. This is a large spread out site and w2e wandered around for a few hours. After a bush camp it was on to Aleppo and the Spring Flower hotel for a couple of nights.On our way we stopped at Crac de Chevaliers- a beautiful hilltop Crusader castle. Aleppo is a great gem. better than Damascus. There were masses of juice, Falafel,ice-cream shops where we pigged out. The history is amazing and it also has a castle and covered souk. After a brief visit we left Syria with nothing but positive memories of friendly welcoming people. Turkey aw2aits.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

SyriaSyria
Syria

Which way to go?


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb