First Time in Dammam


Advertisement
Middle East » Saudi Arabia » Dammam
April 25th 2009
Published: April 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was a great day! I went to the city of Dammam for the very first time. There weren’t any Aramco buses that travel on Saturday (today is an Aramco holiday), so I chartered a van for six of us (Bob, Glyn, Adrian, Eric, Don and me). This was a great way to do it because it cost each of us less than $4 each way. Transportation is pretty inexpensive here. The van driver was going to wait f... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

See Previous Photo!See Previous Photo!
See Previous Photo!

This is actually a medical supply store. But you don't see this sort of thing everyday.
Trying to get the DVD Player to WorkTrying to get the DVD Player to Work
Trying to get the DVD Player to Work

How many psychologists does it take to figure out how to get the DVD player to work? Answer: At least one more than we had!
Watching the DVDWatching the DVD
Watching the DVD

This is the example mock role play used for calibration.
They are so intent on watching!They are so intent on watching!
They are so intent on watching!

Believe me, this won't be playing soon at your local movie theatre.
Pat, Adrian, and GlynPat, Adrian, and Glyn
Pat, Adrian, and Glyn

They don't look like they agree!
Adrian defends his scoreAdrian defends his score
Adrian defends his score

while Glyn laughs hysterically.



26th April 2009

So cool! OK, a couple questions. I notice that you're usually wearing a long sleeve shirt--it's got to be super hot! Do you have to wear a long sleeve shirt in public? Spice market looks so neat--did you buy anything or try the nuts? Can't remember if you've told us how much gas costs there--it's got to be like 2 cents a gallon!
27th April 2009

Ted's FAQ's
eve, good questions. 1. I'm trying to look less American. Therefore I try not to wear jeans, a pull-over (or T-shirt), or sneakers. Obviously I'm going to be seen as a Westerner, but I'm trying to be as low key as possible. However, we were advised not to wear shorts or short sleeve shirts (could be offensive). None of this is true in the Aramco compound, where things are looser. However, I would leave your halter top at home. 2. Spice Store: I didn't buy anything other than a bottle of water. I know I can't bring back any open food (through customs) and I don't have that big a need for cardomon pods here at Steineke Hall! 3. Gas Prices: Last time I was here, I tried to work this out, going from Saudi Ryals and a measure in liters, to Australian dollars (I was talking to Anthea), and then to US dollars and liters. We came up with 20 cents a gallon. However, just today I was talking to a Participant who seemed pretty good with math and he came up with 40 cents per gallon. So that's probably correct. They don't post the prices on big signs, so I haven't even seen the price in Riyals. However, in February I saw a Hummer taxi cab in Khobar!!!
28th April 2009

Dam, man, that was awesome!
Loved your coverage of Dammam and all the photos. Missy G.
28th April 2009

Damman
Thanks, Missy. I really enjoyed Damman and I'm glad I went. I have to think up something for this weekend (Thursday and Friday).
4th January 2010

damam is good
what is damam city.
5th January 2010

Dammam
Dammam is the capital of the Eastern Province in Saudi Arabia. It is one of the largest cities in Saudi Arabia that borders the Arabian (Persian) Gulf.
6th September 2011

I have been to Jeddah, and it was neat to see your comments on dammam. As salaam alaykum
30th December 2012

Dammam
Hi, you should have gone to Dammam Corniche and the Perfume District. Dammam is a very large City, one day is not enough. The most exciting day to visit Dammam is Friday when it's filled with South Asians. You'll think that you're lost in New Delhi.
14th November 2014

Incredible..
Even i never visit Dammam city,I love with your story.may I know you went to Dammam foir business or holiday ?
14th November 2014

Dammam
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I was in Saudi Arabia for business with Saudi Aramco, but I went to Dammam over the weekend as a tourist.

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb