Costa Romantica - Salalah - Oman


Advertisement
Oman's flag
Middle East » Oman
April 17th 2011
Published: June 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Salalah - OmanSalalah - OmanSalalah - Oman

After four days on sea needs the Costa Romantica a 'full meal'
Dear friends,

After four fantastic days on sea, we arrive this morning early in the harbour of Salalah - Oman.

For us it's the second time here. Salalah is a very nice place where old and new meets each other.

Perfume and incense (the real one from the incense tree, which grows only here in Salalah) are the main products for visitors. Very high quality at good prices.

More information about Salalah: (thanks to Wikipedia)

History

Salalah History shows that it gained prominence due to the Frankincense that was extracted from the Frankincense trees that are found in this region. Frankincense is an extract from these trees that is used for perfume and incense sticks. These perfumes are used for ritualistic purpose and are hence widely popular among the practitioners of Judaism. Belonging to the Boswellia family, these trees also have medicinal values.
In the 19th century Salalah was taken over by the sultanate of Oman. In the year 1932, it became the capital of both Muscat and Oman and the sultan, Said, settled there. Later in 1970 he was deposed and the capital shifted to Muscat, the largest town in Oman. Qaboos, the sultan,
Salalah - OmanSalalah - OmanSalalah - Oman

Harbour view Salalah - Oman
was a good administrator and worked in tandem with the tribal chiefs. 1975 was the year when Salalah saw itself flourishing globally. The local Airport was turned to an international Airport and the government also concentrated on the construction of the roads.
The history of Salalah throws much light on the cultural aspects of the land, its political status quo and its importance in history. For detailed analysis on Salalah Overview you can browse through the link, Salalah Travel Guide.

Demographics

The city, like many other other Persian Gulf States' cities has a relatively large expatriate community, mainly from Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, as well as a Pakistani and an Indian community school in the Dahariz district.
99.9%!o(MISSING)f the Omani population in Salalah is Muslim. Like the majority of the Middle East, most people in Salalah follow the Sunni sect of Islam, unlike the majority of Omanis in Muscat which mostly follow the Ibadhi sect. There is also a small population of Christians , Hindus and Sikhs practiced by the Indian and Sri Lankan community.
The unofficial, unwritten, second most spoken language in Salalah, is Shehri, mostly known as Jeballi. As of 1993 there were
Salalah - OmanSalalah - OmanSalalah - Oman

Harbour view Salalah - Oman
25,000 speakers of Shehri, and the numbers have more than doubled ever since. In Salalah it is very typical to see people speak Shehri to each other whether it be in the market place or the restaurant. In fact, Sultan Qaboos's mother, Mazoon Al-Mashani, was a native speaker of the Shehri language.

Economy

APM Terminals, part of the A. P. Moller-Maersk Group of Denmark, manages the Port of Salalah; one of the largest ports on the Arabian Peninsula which is an important transshipment hub for container shipping in the area. The Port of Salalah is also one of the most vital ports on the peninsula connecting together Africa, the Middle East, and Asia. It is also the largest private employer in the Dhofar region. The Salalah Free Zone, situated right beside the port, is emerging as a new center for heavy industries in the Middle East.

Tourism

The city of Salalah is known as the "perfume capital of Arabia". The city is a popular destination for tourism due to the natural attractions of the nearby mountains and abundant stands of frankincense trees lining mountain wadi courses. Around the city and into the mountains the
Salalah - OmanSalalah - OmanSalalah - Oman

Harbour view Salalah - Oman
countryside is lush and green during the monsoon period with the vegetation supporting herds of cattle. The climate supports wildlife often more commonly associated with East Africa, such as leopards and hyenas. Also plants associated with Africa, such as the Baobab tree, are common. Salalah and its surroundings is one of the few ancient areas on the Arabian peninsula that have extensive coconut cultivation. In ancient times coir from the thick husk of the fruit of the local tall variety was used to stitch the planking of the traditional sewn boat of the Western Indian Ocean. Today, the immature fruit are mostly sold as tender coconut for drinking.
The beautiful beaches and coastline are also major attractions for scuba diving and bird watching.
Salalah is a city of antiquity, boasting both the ruins of the fortified town Sumharam (Khor Rori), an important port from 100 BC – AD 400. Modern Oman is also represented by the Port of Salalah, located approximately 15 km to the southwest of the city. The strategic location of this port has made it one of the major entry points to India, the Middle East, and Africa.


We hope that you enjoy the pictures.

See you next time on our travelblog.

From the living sea with love

Adriaan and Jacqueline



Additional photos below
Photos: 83, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

After four days on sea needs the Costa Romantica a 'full meal'
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

After four days on sea needs the Costa Romantica a 'full meal'
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

After four days on sea needs the Costa Romantica a 'full meal'
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

After four days on sea needs the Costa Romantica a 'full meal'
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Harbour view Salalah - Oman
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Harbour view Salalah - Oman
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Cleaning the ship
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Cleaning the ship
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Great chocolate in the duty-free harbourshop
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Believe it or not: two birds are building a nest on the oil tanker
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Believe it or not: two birds are building a nest on the oil tanker
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Believe it or not: two birds are building a nest on the oil tanker
Salalah - OmanSalalah - Oman
Salalah - Oman

Believe it or not: two birds are building a nest on the oil tanker


15th June 2011

very beautiful
Hai Monkey and Bear, Nice pictures and what a beautiful journey you have made. Keep going doing this nice things. Love from Little Dragon

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb