Moving our lives


Advertisement
Kuwait's flag
Middle East » Kuwait
June 21st 2005
Published: June 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Two TowersTwo TowersTwo Towers

The two towers are the best known land mark of Kuwait. After the invasion, many beautiful landmarks have been built. Its a growing country becoming more modern every day.
Welcome to my life. Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Lucy. Im 28 years old. I have been married for 9 happy years and now have 2 little ones. Laila is nearly 6, and Adam who has just turned 2. I was born in the United Kingdom in London. I met my Husband 10 years ago. My Husband was born in Egypt, in Alexandria. And thats us so far 😊 a very quick introduction.

On 17th April, we Emigrated to Kuwait. My husband was offered a Job working with the UN, and then later with the ministery of education, so it looks like we will be here for at least 6 years. It wasn't a huge decision to move here. Life in the UK was mainly work eat sleep work eat sleep. No social life at all really. Hubby had to work so hard we never had much family time. So the decision was made. We packed a huge container and off we went.

We arrived at Kuwait airport at around 7.30pm. We came straight off the plane into the terminal so we hadn't seen kuwait as yet. We headed down a very long aisle (following the flow of other foreigners) up to a huge desk. Ahhh, visas. We were pretty lucky really. My Husband Gad, being Egyptian can speak Arabic and was able to get us through visas pretty quickly. After pottering around the visa section for about 30 minutes, we decided to go to duty free to grab some sweets for a few people we knew in Kuwait.Mainly husbands work colleages. We were being met by a driver so we had to get a move on. We went slowly down to luggage arrivals and searched for our bags. There are plenty of men in blue overals waiting for people to help, and they usually get a quarter dinar (half if your generous, or a couple of dinar of your a tourist and don't know the value of the dinar. haha). They ask what flight you were on and off they go. Most people in Kuwait speak English, so it was quite a nice suprise not having to struggle with my Arabic. e finally got our luggage and went to find the driver.

BANG. The heat could have knocked me over. It felt so dreadfully hot and humid. Wow. and they say its not summer yet. It was very hot and very humid. The driver assured us not to worry as the car was cold. He was right. as soon as the engine turned over, the air con came on and the inside of the car turned into a moving fridge, WOW. What a contrast to the out side temperature.

We drove for about 20 minutes and eventually pulled up outside a huge villa. The driver took us up stairs and showed us where our apartment was. I have to say, it was very nice. Huge rooms compared to houses in the UK. two bathrooms, one en-suite. very nice. 3 bedrooms. huge lounge and a medium sized kitchen.And air con. throughout the whole apartment. After unpacking some essencials we nodded off to sleep. It had been a long day. And along night. We still had not seen Kuwait as it was so dark when we arrived, so it was an adventure waiting for us when we awoke.



Advertisement



22nd June 2005

GOOD LUCK!!
Excellent start to your blog! I hope to be enticed for future travels there and will surely be entertained along the way. Good luck with the Arabic. I got the basics and then had to move on to Swahili! Take care, Fiona (aka coffeecat)

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb