Sunset and Sunrise in the Desert


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Wadi Rum
July 20th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Watching the StarsWatching the StarsWatching the Stars

A most beautiful moment I'll always remember.
After leaving Petra, we headed still farther south into the desert called Wadi Rum. We arrived at our camp just as the sun fell beyond the horizon, coating the impressive red rock formations in even redder light. The camp is one of many in Wadi Rum that caters to visitors with many stand up tents with two cots and bedding and a bar and a dance floor. We settled in and ate the delicious buffet of arabic food. They then cranked up the arabic music as the stars began to come out overhead. I danced some and watched my Arabic school mates dance their traditional dances, laughing when they tried to teach the rest of us.
After some dancing, myself and three other girls decided to get away from it all and snuck off into the dark. We scrambled up the side of a cliff ontop of one of the near rock formations and laid down to stare at the many many stars and talk. It was really relaxing.
After an hour, we made our way down back into the camp where the music had stopped. We found the others and all went to lay down in the
Wadi Rum CampWadi Rum CampWadi Rum Camp

The tents and common area of our camp as the sun set.
sand dunes just out of the camp. Staring at the sky, we witnessed the sudden appearence of thousands of more stars as all the lights in the camp suddenly shut off. We lay, piled on top of each other for pillows and talked until 2 in the morning when we finally retired to bed for only 3 hours.
We woke up at 5am to watch the sunrise. Scrambling back up the side of a cliff, we perched on the edge and watch the sun begin to hit the impressive landscape around us. Finally, we made our way back down. We had an hour before breakfast was served so I went with Marie and we laid down in the sand dunes. My last thought was about how comfy this was. Next I knew, the sun was much higher in the sky and as I sleepily looked at my watch I realized we were late for breakfast. I woke up Marie and we hurried back down into the camp.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

DancingDancing
Dancing

A traditional arabic dance.
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Climbing up the cliff to watch the sun rise.
SunkissedSunkissed
Sunkissed

The sun rise on the desert.
JordanJordan
Jordan

Playing in the Sand.
Nap in the DesertNap in the Desert
Nap in the Desert

I fell aspleep there right next to Marie for an hour. Deepest sleep of my life.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb