Petra and the Temple of Doom


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
October 13th 2008
Published: October 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

08-10-08

Today we awoke to a fine morning, as is normally the case in the desert, and to a spectacular view of the rugged mountains around Petra. We went and took some photos before breakfast, then headed down for a feed.
After breakfast we packed once more, as after todays excursions we would head on to Amman. Or should say back to Amman as that is where we came from the night before.
We were to spend the day in the lost city of Pertra. We thought it would be a long hot day, but the weather was quite pleasant. The high altitude made it considerably cooler than Cairo.
We were very much looking forward to exploring another wonder of the world.
The village of Petra is situated relatively high in the mountain formations, where as the Lost City of Petra is located further down the valley, and only accessible through a narrow passage between sand stone cliffs which rise up to 90m. This passage was the only way traders could pass through this area on their treks to sell and trade their wares.
Passing through this passage was in itself a great experience. It wound its way down for about a kilometre or so, and the shapes and colours in the surrounding walls was fantastic. Monuments were carved into the walls at certain points along the way, and travelling all the way down the passage on both sides were channels cut into the sand stone to allow water to be transferred from the springs higher up the valley down to the town below. These were so well designed that they contained sediment traps at several location along the way. It is believed that the channel on one side was designed for irrigation water. And the channel on the other side, which was lined with terracotta tiles, was designed to carry drinking water.
The base of the passage way was lined with cobble stones, some of which can still be seen today.
Unbeknown to us, nearing the end of the narrow passage way, our guide asked us to come and stand here in this certain spot. We did as he instructed. He then asked us to take a look in a this direction. The direction we now know to be toward the end of the passage. Through a narrow gap between the passage walls we could see a partial view of the most famous and most recognised building in Petra. We just looked in amazement at part of the pillars that make up "The Treasury". Even though you could only see part of it it was instantly recognisable. It was one of those OH MY GOD moments. UNBELIEVABLE. The Treasury, as it is called, is very well preserved as it is carved into the cliff face, and an overhang with drainage channel diverts water away from the stone work.
Moving further down the valley we explored more tombs with huge facades carved into the cliffs. At the base of the site the ruins changed from carved facards to stone block buildings influenced by Roman architects.
It was lunch time by now so we sat down for a feed. We decided to ride donkeys back up to the Treasury, as it was a bit of a hike, and all uphill. We have been promising the girls a ride on a donkey, so we decided this was good a time as any.
Our donkey ride ended, and we made our way on foot back to the start of the narrow passage which led us into the lost city. At this point we got to ride horses the rest of the way up to the entry gate.
Sandra had been talking of having a Turkish Bath, so with plenty of time left before we had to go on to Amman, we stopped and partook in the custom. The girls went in as well.
It starts with a steam room session, a quick shower, lay on a slab of marble, get scrubbed with a loufer, washed with soapy water and massaged. You feel really relaxed afterward.
It was time to move on to Amman so we boarded our trusty van and headed off.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb