The Roman Ruins


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Jerash
July 18th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Shifting a pillarShifting a pillarShifting a pillar

This guy showed us how if you push one of the huge pillars hard then feel under it, you can feel it swaying a lot... it was kinda scary how unstable it seemed.
So today, after handing out food packages, we made a quick stop by Jerash. The ancient ruins are very well preserved by the desert climate and are quite impressive. With two large amphitheatres, the place serves as the accomadation for the famous Jerash festivals. Unfortunatly these lively festivals happen just as we leave. We saw evidence of preparation for the crowds to come though as small tents were set up and stages built in the amphitheaters. If you're ever in Jordan at the end of July don't miss the festivals... they're supposed to be incredible.
The actual ruins themselves are really quite Roman... they say if you've seen one great Roman ruin, you've seen them all. But for me, I really enjoyed our quick walk around the area seeing as they were my first Roman ruin experience. It would have been nice to have a little more time to sit and read a guide book here and there so I knew more what I was looking at though.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

JerashJerash
Jerash

You can see the town surrounding the ruins in the background.
In a nicheIn a niche
In a niche

Surrounded by ancient Roman rock.
Sun shotSun shot
Sun shot

Marie (switzerland) and I.


Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb