Journal day 9- Amman, Jordan


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » North » Amman
February 13th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Amman citadel
Temple of Hercules. Dedicated to the hero god as
161-166 AD when the city was called Philadelphia.
The hand and elbow of a 35m high Collossal stature was found and Hercules was found on many coins from the area at that time.
Hercules was the son of Zeus and a mortal woman.
Umayyad palace and town with baths and collonsfed street
Fortified Walls
Bagpipes- traditional instrument
Head of Tyche wearing turreted crown

Museum
All the way from stone age 40,000-10,000 years ago, Neolithic ages etc. all the way up to the Roman Age. Tgere are many prehistoric remains in the museum as Jordan is rich in remains from prehistoric periods as the south Levant was the only corridor through which wary humanoids migrated from Africa to the rest of the world.

Much Nabatean sculpture and artefacts, some from Petra.

Jars and pieces of the Dead Sea Scrolls which were found at Qumran in a cave on the shore of the Dead Sea in 1947 by a local Bedouin.

138 AD Roman Theatre largest in Jordan. 6000 spectators. Still used today.

King Hussein.
Went into King Hussein Mosque, took off shoes and entered prayer area just as the prayers erupted from the speakers atop the spires, xalling all muslims nearby to enter for prayer. Got stuck inside for prayer service as so many people flooded into the mosque. So sneaked a few photos when everyone kneeled down and put their heads to the floors. Realised I was being a bit sneaky so just joined in and took part in the prayer service. Afterwards a few people came over I shook my hands thinking I was an enthusiastic new member to the muslim faith. Politely nodded to whatever they were saying and scarpered! Interesting experience.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.31s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.2218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb