The Holy Land Part 2 (Jerusalem - the wrong turn ends with a blessing!)


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel
October 12th 2017
Published: October 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Towards the end of only our second week in Jerusalem, it is beginning to feel that I have been here for many years, as we have settled into life here unbelievably well.

I will share below how a mistake led to an incredible and unexpected blessing. But first, our trip south to the Dead Sea.

The area is dry and arid and reminded me in part, of areas in Morocco driving towards Casablanca. We passed the towns of Hizma (population about 15,000) and Anata (about 30,000), both Palestinian. Later, we made two stops to drop off some young passengers and when the driver announced "Kibbutz" each time, I knew we were then in Israeli areas. We noticed some irrigated agriculture and palm tree plantations on the way. The palm trees were all lined up in attractive symmetrical order.

One may wonder why I often refer to "Israeli" or "Palestinian" in my dialogue and reasonably ask the question, why? You are in Israel, so are not all the citizens Israeli? Not really, and it is a complicated and unique situation that involves neighbouring Jordan as well. To truly grasp what life is like here, one has to be patient in learning from the people who call this home, relying less on mass media and more on truth and knowledge. Jesus Himself said, "...seek, and you will find..."

We enjoyed dips in the sulphurated pools of the spa before taking the trolley ride to the sea itself. As everyone knows, the Dead Sea is actually a large hyper saline lake and the lowest point on earth, nearly ten times as salty as the ocean. Lying on my back without sinking was a most unusual experience.

The water level has seriously decreased over the years as the precious liquid is siphoned off from the Jordan River to meet increasing demand for domestic use. Israel, the West Bank (where we live), Lebanon, Jordan and Syria are the political entities locked in dispute over this scarce and depleting resource.

Most impressive is the surrounding topography - the Jordanian mountains to the east and the sheer cliffs on the West Bank side.

And now the mistake. The next day, having returned to Jerusalem, we walked from Via Dolorosa through Damascus Gate, and tried to find the Garden Tomb but to no avail, until someone pointed us in the right direction.
The ever present military.The ever present military.The ever present military.

A large percentage of the soldiers are very young.
We had unknowingly passed the entrance and wasted time looking in the wrong area.

In the end, by God's grace, losing our way turned out to be the perfect sidetrack, for upon entering the site, we were warmly welcomed just as an American group was about to be guided through the complex. We were invited to join them and were thoroughly enlightened by the knowledgeable guide as he took us through the garden.

I volunteered to help group members access the tomb (now believed by some to be the accurate location of Joseph of Aramathea's tomb where Jesus was laid), making sure that the limit inside at a given time did not exceed a comfortable seven persons. "And they brought Him to the place Golgotha , which is translated, Place of a Skull" - Mark 15:22. (Take a really close look at the picture of this place) The tomb was divided in two, the first chamber for preparation of the body and for family and the inner one for the body's final resting place. The important fact is, that finding the exact location two thousand years later, does not matter. What really matters is that He is risen! Nevertheless, entering the tomb itself was beyond any expectation that I had. The Crusaders had also been there and left their mark.

Afterwards, we were invited to participate in Communion with the group who even asked me to distribute the Host. Just before that we all enjoyed beautiful singing of spiritual music by Eddie James who just happened to be in the garden with his group. Born in Phoenix, he is a leader of music and ministry in America and around the world.

It was a most heartfelt episode that would have been completely missed if we had found the location to the Garden Tomb initially. What a blessing!

I intend to return at a quieter time for personal reflection and time with the Lord.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The place of the skull (Golgotha)The place of the skull (Golgotha)
The place of the skull (Golgotha)

Look closely to the right of the picture for the clear image of a skull.
A 2,000 year old wine press in the garden near the tomb.A 2,000 year old wine press in the garden near the tomb.
A 2,000 year old wine press in the garden near the tomb.

Refurbished, of course but nevertheless, the ancients bused straw so as not to damage the grapes.
At the entrance to the tomb.At the entrance to the tomb.
At the entrance to the tomb.

It comprises an outer chamber for preparation of the body and for family and an inner section where the body is laid.
Helping people and controlling the numbers inside, maximum seven.Helping people and controlling the numbers inside, maximum seven.
Helping people and controlling the numbers inside, maximum seven.

I willingly offered to help the group access the tomb safely and in good order.


16th October 2017

Masada
Make sure you visit
16th October 2017

Surely!
We first will spend three days in Jordan visiting Petra with nights in the desert in a Bedouin camp.
19th October 2017

Mistakes
They often end up in blessings, and even discoveries in science

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb