Floating without water wings!


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Eilat
June 19th 2015
Published: August 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today was incredible. Early this morning, around 7 am, we were in Masada and we hiked Mt. Masada. We took the the Snake Trail, which was a pretty rigorous hike, so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't an experienced hiker or physically fit in some way. Instead I would recommend the Rabbit Trail, which is an easier hike, and it still has a beautiful view of the Dead Sea and the mountains of Jordan across the water at its peak. We made sure that we were drinking lots of water before and during the hike, because it's very easy to get dehydrated in the Negev Desert, especially as you move farther south towards Eilat. This is because Israel has a very dry heat during the summer; temperatures can reach up to 110˚F (43˚C) while the humidity stays very low, so the heat is not as noticeable. To help with the beating down sun and arid heat, wear a hat! We've found that our hats do a good job of protecting our necks and heads from sunburn, as well as keeping us a bit cooler down here in the Negev. After coming back down for breakfast and showering (at least most of us did...), we headed even further south to the bottom tip of Israel, Eilat.

In Eilat, the forecast said that we were sitting in a balmy 112˚F (44˚C)! Luckily we didn't have to stay out in the hot air for long, though, because we were headed straight for the Dead Sea! We visited a spa right on the coast of the saline sea and got bags of mineral mud to put on our bodies. It had a pretty slimy feeling, but it was fun covering each other head to toe in mud! 😊 After we put on the mud, we rinsed off in the sea. It was so bizzare floating in the Dead Sea; it felt like I was wearing a life jacket, but for my whole body! If you walked far enough in, like up to your waist, you were pushed back until you were floating horizontal. If you plan on visiting the Dead Sea, remember not to shave or go in with any cuts or scrapes, because the salt will make you sting pretty badly.

All in all, today was tiring, but we had lot's of fun. Stay tuned for my travels tomorrow!

-E

Advertisement



31st August 2015

Looks Amazing
Wow, Israel looks and sounds like a beautiful country. I've been thinking of planning a trip for me and my wife soon; hopefully we can experience the same cool things you did! Keep it coming!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb