Bedouin Tents and Camel Rides


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Be'er Sheva
June 20th 2015
Published: August 31st 2015
Edit Blog Post

I can proudly mark "riding a camel" off my bucket list now.

When we arrived at the Bedouin community in Be'er Sheva today, we were invited into one of their big tents to hear from one of their leaders. We sat in a circle on flat cushions and listened to a Bedouin with skin like worn leather talk to us about their community and their way of life. As we sat, we were brought steaming hot cups of tea, then a small cup of black coffee made over a fire outside of the opening of the tent. The leader explained to us that, as a sign of welcoming, Bedouins serve guests three small cups of coffee: one when they arrive, one at dinner, and one before they leave. If a guest is not welcome, or is disrespectful towards the community, they are served one large cup of coffee. I'm glad we got the small cups!

In the afternoon, we went on a camel ride led by one of the Bedouins and his son. The camels were super tall, so they had to sit down so we could get on them. The camels were leashed together end to end, so we paraded out into the desert with the world's strangest conga line. Two people sat to a camel, so this would be a fun activity for a family of four or a couple to do if they visited this Bedouin community. I wouldn't bring children below the age of twelve though, because it take a bit of balance and core strength just to stay on the camel! The terrain is rocky and uneven (being the desert) and sometimes it feels as if the camel is trying to throw you off, so make sure to hold on tight to either your partner or the saddle, because it's not a nice fall onto the desert ground.

Again, Israel continues to surprise and enthral me as I make my way throughout this beautiful land. More tomorrow!

-E

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb