Come Follow Me


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District
September 17th 2015
Published: September 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Magdala on the northwest coast of the Sea of GalileeMagdala on the northwest coast of the Sea of GalileeMagdala on the northwest coast of the Sea of Galilee

Home of Mary Magdalene, who had seven demons driven from her (Luke 8:2) and who accompanied Our Lord at the foot of the cross. She was also one of the first to see the Risen Christ, thus she is sometimes called the "Apostle to the Apostles."
Today, we visited Magdala and Gamla. Magdala is on the northwest coast of the Sea of Galilee and is best known as the home of Mary Magdalene. A recently erected church now stands on this seaside town and contains beautiful mosaics depicting Gospels scenes set in and around the Galilee. Ongoing excavations, begun in 2009, are revealing more about this site each year.

Gamla is one of the most naturally beautiful sites that we have visited here in Israel. This mountainside town is built on the southern slope of a mountain, which has been carved out over millions of years by the two rivers below. The Sea of Galilee is situated to the west and the Golan Heights rise all around it; truly a magnificent ancient settlement.

I'll let the pictures and captions speak for themselves...feel free to add your own profound insights. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Sea of GalileeSea of Galilee
Sea of Galilee

Golan Heights in the distance
Healing of Jairus' daughter (Mark 5:41)Healing of Jairus' daughter (Mark 5:41)
Healing of Jairus' daughter (Mark 5:41)

He took the child by the hand and said to her, "Talitha koum," which means "Little girl, I say to you arise!"
...he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"...he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"
...he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"

(Matt 14:30) How often have we felt like crying out, "Lord, save me!"
1st Century AD Synagogue1st Century AD Synagogue
1st Century AD Synagogue

One of the finds of recent excavations here in Magdala.
Magdala StoneMagdala Stone
Magdala Stone

Perhaps carved to represent the Temple in Jerusalem.
Oil pressOil press
Oil press

Olives and olive oil was one of the main products of this region from the fourth millennium forward.
Gamla (Arabic for Camel)Gamla (Arabic for Camel)
Gamla (Arabic for Camel)

This town was built on the southern slope of the mountain that looks like a camel's hump.
Gamla Gamla
Gamla

It was the site of a fierce battle between the Romans and Jewish rebels during the 1st Jewish revolt (66 AD).


Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb