Yigal Allon Centre and Museum


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Tiberias
April 7th 2019
Published: May 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Visiting the Sea of Galilee was an absolute highlight. The water so calm, the acoustics around the sea compelling. Tucked in a little space is a piece of history well worth seeing.

The following is from "Seetheholyland.net".

The Sea of Galiliee yielded an unexpected catch in 1986 — the hull of a fishing boat old enough to have been on the water in the time of Jesus and his disciples. The remains of the so-called Jesus Boat were found in the muddy lakebed (the Sea of Galilee is actually a freshwater inland lake) during a time of severe drought. The remains were 8.3 metres (27 feet) long, 2.3 metres (7.5 feet) wide and 1.3 metres (4.3 feet) high. This size would have enabled it to carry up to 15 people. Extracting it safely presented a huge challenge to excavators. Conservation of its waterlogged timbers then took 11 years. In 2000 the vessel — officially known as “The Ancient Galilee Boat” — went on permanent display in the Yigal Allon Museum at Kibbutz Ginosar, near where it was discovered.

In the Museum there is a video outlining the recovery process. Amazing in itself. The engineers, for want of a better term, surrounded the wooden structure with a strong foam so that it could be extricated from its site and relocated with as little damage as possible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Yigal Allon Centre and MuseumYigal Allon Centre and Museum
Yigal Allon Centre and Museum

Waiting area and mandatory "rest rooms"
Yigal Allon Centre and MuseumYigal Allon Centre and Museum
Yigal Allon Centre and Museum

Impression of boat covered in foam
Yigal Allon Centre and MuseumYigal Allon Centre and Museum
Yigal Allon Centre and Museum

Chart showing different types of wood that were probably used
Yigal Allon Centre and MuseumYigal Allon Centre and Museum
Yigal Allon Centre and Museum

Has to be a "Gift Shop"


Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb