Day 17 - Crusader castle Akko and Rosh Hanikra


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Acre
April 26th 2018
Published: April 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Started today at 8am, first destination being Akko (Acre), site of a Crusader castle occupied by the Knights of St John (Knights Hospitaller). Much of this castle is still intact and houses a museum about the Crusaders. We had a good amount of time looking through the castle and then stopped for a coffee break. Before we went through a tunnel which connected originally to the castle of the Knights Templar. Mahdi had said in the bus earlier that he understood how all the middle eastern food like shawarma, falafel and hummus was exotic and different when you first arrive but after 2-3 weeks you’ve had enough and he promised to take us somewhere for lunch that didn’t have falafel and he kept his word and took us to a café in a shopping centre where we had a very delicious salmon salad. A man of his word.

After lunch our good driver, Islam drove us to the furthest point north we would go, Rosh Hanikra, which is on the coastal border with Lebanon. Here we went on another cable car going down to the water and explored caves and tunnels and looked at natural grottoes which was very cool. Then we took the cable car back to the top and walked over to the border crossing with Lebanon. Whilst there, a young Israeli soldier came out and one of the group asked him if they could have a photo with him. He said yes and all of us ended up having photos with him. He told us he was in his first year of three years in National Service and was very friendly. I told him that I hope he never has to use his gun and he agreed that he also hoped he’d never have to use it.

On the way back to Nazareth it began to rain again and we were due to visit the Church of Annunciation but by then it was pouring and Mahdi suggested we just visit it the following day before leaving and we agreed. So got back to our room early at 4:30pm. Good time to catch up on the travel blog.

Met up with everyone again for another happy hour before all heading off for our last dinner together. Mahdi took us to a nice restaurant he knew of just a short walk from the convent and he encouraged us to share our meals. Some were a little hesitant at first but Daisy got involved as usual and soon all the food was getting shared around. After dinner, Mahdi stayed with some of his friends and we all decided to go and have some more kanafeh at the same shop we went to the previous night.

A good time was had by all and we both feel so lucky that both groups we have shared our travels with have been fantastic and we have enjoyed chatting to every single one of them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



28th April 2018

Boys
Not so far from Tel Aviv now. :-)

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb