Sunday in the Holy City


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
February 16th 2014
Published: February 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Happy Lord's Day to you! We split up the group of 37 and attended 4 different churches. The group I was in went to the East Jerusalem Baptist Church (Interdenominational). There were probably 60 people in attendance. It was a very informal service with praise songs, hymns, lots of prayers and testimonies and a message by an Australian missionary.

We then went in a van to the Old City, entered the Jaffa gate and walked to the Church of the Holy Sceplicur the site of the tomb of Jesus. We waited in a massive line for 1.5 hour to get our turn to enter the tomb. Only 3 or 4 people at a time can enter the inner chamber. Rather than being a stark rocky chamber it was decorated with icons. The Greek Orthodox Church has certainly influenced the site decor even though six church groups actually control the site together. In the chamber is the shelf bench on which Jesus was laid. It was an awesome sight, indeed.

There is another tomb called the Garden Tomb which some claim to be the burial site. However, there is little evidence that it is authentic compared to the evidence of the Holy Sceplicur site. We will see it in a couple of days. The guide says that this tomb looks like what Jesus tomb would have looked like at the time, more like how most of us picture the tomb. It has not been as commercialized as the actually tomb of Jesus.

From the tomb we went to the chapel opposite in tomb. Please understand the Church of the Nativity is built over the tomb with a mausoleum over the tomb itself. Then on up to the upper level of the church you climb the step to Calvary (Golgotha) which is no long outside but covered by the church. The peak of the rock of Calvary is still there and you can stick your hand in a hole in the rock where crosses were placed at the time of Jesus. I was very moved by this experience.

In leaving the nartex one sees the slab of stone like what one might see in a morgue that was used to prepare the body of Jesus for burial. Caused goose-bumps to form on my arms. Such a powerful symbol.

After some shopping in pouring down rain, we took a taxi back to the hotel to rest and for supper. Tonight a Palestinian pastor will speak to us about his ministry on the West Bank

I will try once again to add photos. If none appear you will know that the website, once again, did not cooperate.

Blessings to you on this Christian Sabbath day. Please pray for my stamina. Tomorrow is suppose to be very physically taxing. Shalom!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb