Under the Tuscan Sun - in Israel!!


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
September 26th 2012
Published: September 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ein Kerem

There have been some interesting areas of Israel that will always bring a smile to my face because of the landscape or the people who live there.

One such place is Ein Kerem meaning ‘Spring of the Vineyard’, a picturesque village with narrow streets and alleyways, dominated by beautiful churches lined on the terraced slopes.

I remember saying to myself that in all the places I have been, this little vineyard village had to be one of the most beautiful that touched my heart. To this day I still do not really understand why I feel this way.

It is located on the slopes of Jerusalem and known as the cradle of Jewish and Christian history in the land of Israel. With regard to the Christian religion; this settlement is most well known for being the place where Jesus’s cousin, John the Baptist was born. The story goes that this village was the meeting place of Mary and Elizabeth when they were pregnant with their holy sons, Jesus and John. With regard to the Jewish religion; Ein Kerem was the place where one of the Canaanite Kings of Jerusalem met the father of the Jewish
The Visitation ChurchThe Visitation ChurchThe Visitation Church

Religious Tuscan Style mural on the face of the church
people, Abraham. Muslim influence can also be found in Ein Kerem as they inhabited this area for a few decades. In conclusion the result of such a variety of culture and religion provided me with so much to take in and left me with a feeling of awe.

During these biblical times this village was a thriving agricultural community but today it mostly consists of artists and academics. I can understand why; it is a place of quiet and serenity, a good place to sit, think and let your creative juices flow.

While at Ein Kerem I visited the Franciscan Visitation church, Mary’s spring, and the Greek Orthodox Church; the churches were beyond loveliness, I had never encountered such beautifully built churches (not that I attend church) except the church of the Holy Sepulchre – which is a masterpiece.

I was most fascinated with the Franciscan Visitation church, which was said to be built over the home of John the Baptist's parents. From here there is a wonderful view of the valley and the surrounding wooded hills. The Church is reached by steps up from the main road through the village. In the church courtyard, one wall
Orthodox Greek ChurchOrthodox Greek ChurchOrthodox Greek Church

The beautiful Greek styled tiles were very calming
is covered with ceramic tiles bearing the words from the bible in 42 languages!

The upper church, designed by Antonio Barluzzi, includes a Tuscan-style painted ceiling and large murals depicting the titles with which Mary has been endowed; ‘Mother of God, Refuge of Sinners, Dispenser of All Grace, Help of Christians and the Immaculate Conception’. The lower church is decorated with large frescoes of other Hebrew women of the Bible, known for their hymns and canticles.

Being able to walk through the ancient cobbled roads with the pink and white blossoms of the almond trees in bloom, visiting the little art galleries and enjoying a cold ice cream along the way made me feel as if I was in one of those cute romantic movies like ‘Under the Tuscan sun’, maybe it was the site of fine-looking vineyards mixed with a quant village? Anyhow Ein Kerem is definitely a place I would visit over and over again; maybe even write a blog while enjoying some rich Israeli-style coffee at one of the adorable coffee shops.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb