The Holy of Holies


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we were up with the dawn, passing through security, and before we knew it, we were standing on the Temple Mount.

In the sky above our heads, 3,000 years ago, a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night indicated the presence of Jehovah. Under the Golden Dome lies the peak of Mount Moriah, the rock where the Ark of the Covenant lay within the Most Holy, where Abraham likely bound Isaac for the sacrifice, and where tradition says Adam was created at the very center of the Universe. Ok, I don't know about all that, but this is was, for many many generations, the very center of true worship, and symbolic of heaven itself. That is enough to make anyone tremble.

Jesus himself visited here, throwing out the money changers and observing the Jews. It is obvious however, that the House has been Abandoned. God was once present here, but His Spirit left long ago.

The Muslims keep the area filthy, there is litter and graffitti everywhere, even on the shrine and on the mosque. The public restroom was so disgusting that I wanted to take a picture, but COULD NOT bring myself to do it. No one can imagine it.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Second TempleSecond Temple
Second Temple

aka Herod's Temple


24th September 2008

did you go inside? wow! what an awe-inspiring day! thanks for another great day of history professor. impressive stuff. take care. i love you.
27th September 2008

Filthy
It's filthy, really? Are Muslims the only caretakers, or are the Jews or Christians involved as well? With all the tourists they get, it's surprising that the place is kept in bad repair.

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb