Shearim and Old City


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Jerusalem District » Jerusalem
December 20th 2005
Published: December 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Slept in Monday then went to Shearim (another girl's seminary) in the afternoon.

Lessons learned from Bresslov:
Spend at least an hour a day by yourself in nature or room alone and just talk with G-d like you were talking with a friend. Taking time out of your day to meditate or just think is a big concept in all sects of Judaism. I thought it was a great idea. I just need to make time for it.

Keleman's parenting class:
Main lesson I learned was that the more time you spend at work, the less time you have with your children. Basically there are trade offs in life and you need to think about what you prioritize. He prioritized his kids above everything and tried limiting the time he spent at work to be with them.

Keleman on Punishment:
Basically he said that parents or teachers punish children because it is an expression of their desire to control. Their worst fear is that the children will get out of hand and go crazy. His view is that we should try to get the most potential out of children. Instead of thinking "how can I control the children" think "how can I draw the children to want to get closer to me and establish a relationship" the main goal of a parent should be maintaining a strong relationship with their children and trying to help them become the best person they can be.

Halachas on Hannuka:
In short, the Mitzvah (commandment) is to spread the light in order to show off the miracle of the holiday and show how we were saved. That means you should put the menorah in a place that people will see it (ex. window where people pass or place where people in the house pass by). Candles need to burn 1/2 hour past when the stars come out. On Friday night, light 25 minutes before Shabbat starts then light the Shabbat candles. After Shabbat, you can light Chanukah candles before or after havdala. Each night add another candle to the left of the night before and then light from left to right (new then old). It's a custom to eat oily foods to remind us of the one jar of oil found that lasted for 8 days rather than 1 day. Also, many people eat cheese products to remember how Yehudit killed an evil king by feeding him cheese and wine and saved the Jews. For all the ladies out there... it's a custom not to work while the candles are burning ... yippee. If you are a guest, then chip in some cash for the candles to be part of the mitzvah -- it can be a nominal amount like a few pennies unless someone is lighting with you in mind at home.

What is the Midrash?
Rebetzin Pavlov explained as follows:
G-d gave Moshe the written and oral Torah at Sinai.
At the end of the second temple, the Rabbis realized if they did not write some of the oral Torah down then it would be lost so Rabbi Yehuda Hanassi wrote a portion of it down in an outline format. This turned out to be the 6 books of the Mishna. It outlined Jewish Halachot (laws) and 13 principles of how to figure out the entire oral tradition from the written tradition.
-- The Mishna worked till the 2nd exile. Then Chazal wrote down a larger outline of the oral Torah called the Gemara which expounds on the Mishna.
-- Everyone has the same basic laws (Halachot), but disagreements over where the source of the Halacha came from which thus impacts how it's applied.
for example, some people will eat meat during the 9 days for a happy occasion like a Bar Mitzvah but others wont. Ask your local Rabbi depending on the circumstance. For example, Rabbi Orbach always rules that the principle "all Jews are friends" supercedes anything else. Others focus on other principles.
Ex. Hillel focused on what's real now and Shamai focused on what should be.
When it comes down to it. there are 70 faces to the Torah and they are all part of the Torah. THIS WORLD IS LIKE A FRACTURED MIRROR AND IS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE THAT.

Basically, the Midrash is written in parables, stories and riddles that should not always be taken literally but should be used as a tool to explain a deeper concept in Judaism. Rabbi Volbo said IF YOU WANNA KNOW G-D, LOOK AT THE MIDRASH.

Besides for all the Torah I have been learning, I have also been taking a massage class. ... yes all you lady friends will be able to get great massages from me. If you are in Israel, look me up and I'll hook you up immediately. For those back home ... the wait will be worth it.

Tomorrow I will be meeting Aaron's friend Mike and meeting up with the Betar group for the program I came to Israel for.

Let me know if you are interested in the D'var Torah's I am summarizing. If not, I am happy to keep them in a separate folder for those who are interested. Feedback appreciated.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb