Jet Lag and a Henna Party


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District
June 15th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 15 June



When travelling half way around the world with children, we have just discovered, the first few days after arriving at your destination are not going to go as planned. Yesterday morning we drove into Haifa, intending to walk through the famed Baha’i Gardens. However, as we approached the top of the beautifully stepped gardens, we discovered that two of the three children were asleep in the back seat. So instead of walking down the steep incline, we could only gaze in awe from the top entrance and then navigate our way to Ben Gurion St by car and gaze up - even more breathtaking from below.

Driving on the other side of the road from what one is used to is fairly hazardous at first. It is not made any easier when the hire-car is temperamental in every possible way, and the navigator has a mind of its own. Of course on our first day we found ourselves about to turn into the wrong side of the road, necessitating a hasty reverse in the face of an oncoming car. This is not a funny situation to be in by any means, but all we could do was pack up laughing because it was just so inevitable.

As was the exhaustion we all suffered from yesterday. We returned to our hotel and forced the kids to wake, put on our swimming costumes and went down to the hotel pool. The boys swam in the open-roofed indoor pool while tired mom lay outside in the shade. We all went upstairs for an afternoon sleep and the boys all crashed - even after three hours we just couldn’t wake them! Eventually I had to leave with the rest of the female wedding guests to attend the Mikvah, and Russel had to get the boys ready and follow in the car behind the taxi that took the men to the Henna Party.

The Mikvah set-up was interesting. The bridal room was decorated with bouquets of artificial white flowers and looked very appropriate. We had to wait in the entrance for some time before it was Cami’s turn to go in. She was extremely nervous as she had a fear of submerging her face in the water. However it all went smoothly and she was out in no time, to wails and ululations from her fiancee’s very large, extended Moroccan family. Sweet treats were passed around, lollies were thrown, and then we all made our way to the home of one of the Moroccan uncles for the party.

By the time the party started it was 9.30 pm and the boys were exhausted again, and by no means in party mood. Ryan was still exhausted, having slept the least of the three during the day. He went to lie down in an bedroom and passed out again. Greg seemed okay until numerous guests lit up and the smoke became intolerable for him. He sat the entire time with his hand over his nose and moaned. Dean coped the best. He had slept both in the morning and afternoon, and was not as bothered by the smoke. But by 10.30 pm the guests were still eating, Greg was still complaining and I was wilting. It was time to go. We didn’t witness the Henna ceremony and the dancing that followed. Apparently it was great fun.

We arrived back at the hotel and all fell into a deep sleep until morning. We woke up much refreshed and almost as good as new. We set off on our first real touristy adventure - Rosh Ha-Nikra and Akko (Acre).

Three boys in the back seat of a Toyota Corolla, with one in a car seat in the middle, does not make for an enjoyable car trip, wherever you may be in the world. But more of that tomorrow, it’s now time to get some dinner.


Advertisement



15th June 2010

I enjoyed your post from Israel. I haven't been there yet but I can't wait to go. I wish I took trips like that when I was a child! My blog is looking for travel photos, commentaries, reviews, etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email me at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Continued fun on your travels! Heather
15th June 2010

Wow
Hi Nix, so great to read all your news....so eloquently written too considering how tired you have been! Let's hope you are all back to normal now and able to fully enjoy the Israel experience. All good here, the house is serving us very well and we have all settled in Love to all and enjoy the wedding, Linds x

Tot: 0.23s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb