Iran


Advertisement
Middle East » Iran » West » Esfahan
June 10th 2008
Published: June 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the border from Pakistan was no trouble at all and I was ushered through in less than an hour, it was once I was in Iran however that things started to get more complicated. I was issued with an army officer and told that from now on for my own safety he would travel with me. This didn't make much sense because it is far more dangerous on the Pakistani side and I had no guard there, but... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Imam KhomeiniImam Khomeini
Imam Khomeini

This photo gives you a good idea of what women wear in Iran. Pretty much just black...
On the way to Kandovan with Ali, Mehdi and RezaOn the way to Kandovan with Ali, Mehdi and Reza
On the way to Kandovan with Ali, Mehdi and Reza

This tree is over 200 years old and sits right in the middle of the road!
Poets' Mausoleum in TabrizPoets' Mausoleum in Tabriz
Poets' Mausoleum in Tabriz

Built after the death of the much-loved Tabrizi poet Shahriyar.
Mosque in TabrizMosque in Tabriz
Mosque in Tabriz

We spent one afternoon here relaxing in the hotest part of the day.
Tabriz BazaarTabriz Bazaar
Tabriz Bazaar

Carpet sellers.
Shisha bar in TabrizShisha bar in Tabriz
Shisha bar in Tabriz

When I was there these stores were meant to be closing in one month because of new legislation so everyone was making the most of them!
Crossing the border into TurkeyCrossing the border into Turkey
Crossing the border into Turkey

Even before arriving at the border the imposing figure of Mt Ararat dominated the horizon!



24th June 2008

Blown Away!!
Joel, an amazing blog about an amazing country! I so enjoyed reading it and absorbing the culture and history. Each blog seems to get better! Loved the photos. You have met some very special people in your travels!
24th June 2008

Hey Joel. This is an amazing entry. You've provided a valuable insight to the warm hospitality and romantic version of an otherwise "misunderstood" country. And such beautiful architecture! Iran shall be on my list. Thanks for sharing :-)
24th June 2008

Looks dusty!
Hey mate, it was a shame to hear that you had to trim the lions mane! Iran sound pretty cool, glad to hear you had a good time and adjusted after Pakistan. I'm also impressed that you are keeping up your maths skills and in Arabic no less. Keep safe.
24th June 2008

Where's the photo of you?
Great reading again Joel! The hamam visit reminds me of our time in Turkey! I would have liked to have seen a photo of you clean-shaven after all your travels with a beard! As you are in Beirut at the moment you have done amazingly well travelling from India to the Mediterranean overland! Well done!
24th June 2008

niceeee
HEY JOEL!!! how u doin? ur trip looks crazy awesome nice pics..they gave u an army officer? haha cute..im from iran so i have no idea why they would do that, ive never seen them do it to foreigners before....my dad is from yazd and my mum is from tehran you make yazd sound so crazy awesome, so awesome in fact that im gona go read about it right now!!!! hope u enjoyed urself there...persians are pretty hospitable. i didnt read through the whole thing so was wondering if uve ever been to russia!!??
24th June 2008

Hello Joel, my name is Amir i am from Iran. Your post is very good, showing all of the marvels of my home. thankyou. (just kidding, its ziggy. another ace post and sweet pictures of the rock carvings/pictures and of the gazor castle. awaiting farsi lessons when you return.)
25th June 2008

Very interesting blog...
Great blog Joel! I wish more westerners could travel there. My experience here in NZ and Australia when I say I am from Iran is that most people are about to have heart attacks LOL they probably read the "news" too much and it is good to see these blog entries coming. I like your comparison of Iran to its neighbour countries. Thanks :-)
25th June 2008

Not very insightful Joel, not very insightful at all......
25th June 2008

Intriguing Iran
Hi Joel, These photos of Iran are magnificent as is your writing. You surely have absorbed so much of the culture. I also had a friend Mehdi in Mashad who took me around for a couple of days; makes me question our Western preoccupation with ourselves and the rights of the individual at the expense of community. Safe travels wherever you go. Keep the brilliant writing and pics coming!
25th June 2008

What an amazingly informative blog. :)
14th August 2008

hello i reallyyy enjoyed reading your story and in fact you made me search for more blogs and other tourists' stories. im from iran too and im happy to know what people face in their trip to iran
20th September 2009

A really interesting blog. I enjoyed reading your account of this fascinating country. Beautiful photography as well.
21st January 2010

Iran
One day I hope I get to travel to Esfahan, Iran. What a beautiful city! Awesome Pics!!!!!!!!!
26th August 2010

amazing pics,
i like iran and its amazing pics because iran is only one in all world in beauty ,
19th September 2011

Armin from Iran
I enjoyed your travel blog, good job
15th October 2011
Crossing the border into Turkey

hello
Iran's past and hope to be happy with Iran I would

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb