Hanging


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
October 11th 2006
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Turkish FlagTurkish FlagTurkish Flag

Just in case anyone had forgotten that the Turks owned Northern Cyprus..a large flag cut into the hillside to remind the Greeks everyday...
Life is never boring with the Tworts - we have had some lovely chats and laughs, and it always makes me feel so much closer to my family - Lindsay and Mum have very similar characteristics...

The weather at the moment is glorious - between 28-30 degrees without the humidity. We spend the first part of the day enjoying the coolness of the mornings on the veranda, chatting about the potential plans for the day, and washing back cups of tea. So far have even managed to squeeze in a few glorious minutes of tanning! Really working on the tan so that it'll warm me from the inside out when return back to england...ah man! But as of today, its 56 days left until I fly into Jan Smuts.

Yesterday I did some exploring around the old town of Nicosia - started in the Greek side, but when I discovered how much more expensive it was, my mission became to try and get to the Turkish side where you can get similar stuff but at about half the price! He he.. so set off for the border - fortunately had my passport handy and after working my way through
the WOWsthe WOWsthe WOWs

Flynn tending lovingly to his WOW geraniums in the back garden
about 8 turks, I eventually found my way to the undercover bazaar and the mosque. Its amazing - one moment in greece, with greek and greeks, and the next in turkey, with turks and "tesheker ederim" ie thank you very much! Its so wierd how a whole city can be divided and represent two very different and opposing cultures. But appreciated having the turks and their turkish delight readily available!

Today we did a bit more exploring around cyprus - its awesome how you can get around the entire island without much more then a 2 hour drive! And an island of such diversity - arid and barren like the hot easter countries, with sand and small green bushes, and yet in a short space of time, can be amongst the mountains of the Wildcoast in Natal...



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Typically turkishTypically turkish
Typically turkish

Wondering around a market in north nicosia, amongst the turkish delight, I found this wonderfully elaborate turkish regalia! Thought it might be good to have for a fancy dress!
Thali MiliseuThali Miliseu
Thali Miliseu

Enjoying breakfast out the back with lindsay, flynn and Cheryl


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb