Ismail and Jen's First visit: Cyprus


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus
July 10th 2005
Published: August 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Five Fingers MountainFive Fingers MountainFive Fingers Mountain

Veiw from Murat's street as we were walking back to his apartment.

Welcome to Cyprus: Birthplace of Aphrodite: Goddess of Beauty





Cyprus is the first stop on our 3 week journey throughout the Middle East and Europe. We visited the North Cyprus Republic of Turkey. In 1983, the Turkish Republic took the Northern lands from the Greeks and therefore North Cyprus is controlled by the Turkish Republic while the rest of the island remains Greek. We were not able to visit the Greek side because Ismail is a Turkish citizen and at this time Turkish citizens are not allowed to cross borders into the Greek side of Cyprus.



After missing our first flight at 7 am Saturday morning from Istanbul to Ercan, Cyprus, we searched for the next available flight. We found one leaving the next day. So we arrived at the airport in Ercan, Cyprus where Ismail's old high school friend Murat picked us up. The first thing I noticed was the cars driving on the opposite side of the road and the weather was so, so, so HOT!!! I thought it was so nice to begin with because I knew I would get a nice tan, but later found out it was too hot to withstand.


We traveled around the city to see the beautiful areas of this amazing island in the Mediterranean Sea. We had pizza at a local cafe where we met Murat's girlfriend Ozge. We had a nice afternoon lunch and learned about the city and what there was to do there. We went to Murat's apartment. The first thing I noticed about the apartment was that there was no air conditioning. Most places in Cyprus do not have air conditioning. So to keep cool, we opened the windows and had an electrical fan in the living room area.



The first night we were there we went to a local seaside cafe for dinner. Murat took a picture of Ismail and I: our first picture together in Cyprus! It was much cooler to sit outside at night, but it was still very hot and humid. It was very nice and the food was great. For an appetizer we had dew melon! We sat near the band that was playing and heard many American songs! It was great!



Later that night, we walked around the city and saw
Murat and OzgeMurat and OzgeMurat and Ozge

Our hosts!
many historical buildings that were still standing from hundreds of years ago. We visited the sight of a castle where many battles use to take place in ancient times. We did alot of walking and then took some pictures at the castle before the nights end.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

This is where we stayed This is where we stayed
This is where we stayed

Murat's College Apartment
Ismail and JenIsmail and Jen
Ismail and Jen

Dinner at a seaside cafe
Sight of the CastleSight of the Castle
Sight of the Castle

Along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea
Ismail and MuratIsmail and Murat
Ismail and Murat

In front of the castle


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb