Another relaxing day with a legend thrown in.


Advertisement
Cyprus' flag
Middle East » Cyprus » Paphos
September 22nd 2019
Published: September 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

To escape from the sun one day we took a taxi to the Kings Shopping Mall, a relatively new shiny shopping mall not far from the harbour.

Inside was much like most shopping malls with designer shops, food outlets and a cinema complex.

Some familiar names too Marks & Spencer, Mothercare and Holland & Barrett.

It was nice to be out of the sunshine but not really our scene with all the designer brands with their size Zero goods on display.

We left the mall and went to the harbour where we sat in the shade enjoying a coffee and people watching.

It was Saturday and lots of local families were making their way to the beach areas.

En our route back to the harbour we passed a tree covered in what looked like strips of fabric, we remembered this tree just above some ancient catacombs from our visit many years ago & then remembered the legend.



St Solomoni was a Christian woman who was avoiding the persecution of the Romans and hid down the cave, but the Romans found her. She would not denounce her faith so they locked her down there as punishment to die a slow death.



St Solomoni prayed and maintained her faith and a natural spring erupted from the depths and a tree emerged bearing fruit. 20 years later when the romans came to check there was a strong young woman still holding strong in her faith who survived.



To this day people come to see the water spring and dip their handkerchiefs / cloth in and touch to their ailments praying for healing, then hang them from the 'healing tree' in hope their prayer will be answered and suffering alleviated.



We thought we would return to the Posiedonous restaurant overlooking the ancient castle and harbour. The owner recognised us and welcomed us back.

David enjoyed the garlic mussels again, I chose Greek salad and also tasty yogurt with honey to finish.



We sat for a while before heading back along the waters edge where the taxi rank had drivers waiting for their next fare.

Back to the hotel and ready for a swim , there are some wonderful old Palm trees around the grounds giving well needed shade & one has such an amazing textured bark that could be quite old. I couldn't resist taking a photo,

A relaxing afternoon before tonight's dinner, we had booked the Aphrodite restaurant for a flambé evening.

It was a lovely setting overlooking the pool area, the waiter prepared our meal beautifully. Smoke salmon to start, steak with peppercorn sauce was our main choice and to finish profiteroles. We don't always managed three courses but the portion size this evening was just right.

A couple of drinks before bedtime, nothing special today but an enjoyable day nonetheless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.471s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb