Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Europe
August 20th 2016
Published: August 20th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Ring of Kerry







Well I sacked my driver today. Had to reemploy him as map reader. What a day to drive the Ring of Kerry. It looks like the Coromandel or Banks Peninsular on a bad day. “ah notin ye can do about it, to be sure, to be sure.” The first half wasn’t too bad drizzle and overcast. We followed the prescribed route anticlockwise and stopped in a couple of lovely little villages. Then at the very bottom we came to the ring of Skellig. The most westerly part of Ireland. We caught the ferry from Reenard to Knightstown on the island of Velentia (the best mushrooms soup ever). Very historical for many things... In 1857 it is where they started to lay the first cable to the USA although it was week and didn’t last for long. Queen Victoria sent the first cable to the president of the USA. It was a highly guarded place during the second world war and was involved in the Easter uprising of 1916. We went out to have a look at the oldest lighthouse in the world... Unfortunately, it was closed due to the winds. By now the weather is really closing in and the sea looks just like NZ on a bad day. The waves were crashing in on the rocks and some of the bays were just plain white water. Although it was still awesome and dramatic in the stormy weather we could see how spectacular it would be in the sunshine. Unfortunately it does effect photo opportunities so we are reduced to buying some postcards. Couldn’t get you a photo of the view so here a photo of a goat. It was a long drive to get around the whole peninsular. Started about 10 am and got back at about 6.00. Very hard driving the roads are very narrow. You have to slow for oncoming traffic sometimes actually stop a lot of the time in 1st and 2nd gear. Of course there are plenty of tourists clogging up the road. A bit hair-raising at times but I can say I drove the ring of Kerry!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 3.53s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0378s; 3; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb