Another gorgeous day - Hydra and on to Kythnos


Advertisement
Europe
June 15th 2016
Published: June 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Wow! Been quiet for a few days with limited WiFi but boy has it been amazing. We headed to Hydra when word of a storm brewing spread. A storm to a sailor is all about the wind, not so much the rain. We anchored in Hydra and enjoyed gale force winds from the safety of our harbor. It was quite entertaining to watch other ships attempt to moor. Our captain is an expert at docking our ship, the Christianna, a 60 foot sail boat. We had no issues but we learned from others what not to do. Hydra is a magical village full of art galleries, local handmade items, clothing and jewelry. Hydra does not allow vehicles except for the garbage truck. Folks get around on donkeys or use their legs. Our captain shared that the average person that lives on Hydra lives to be 105. Probably from all that walking everywhere. Our night in Hydra held lots of fun as Captain Steve pulled out Pirate costumes. We all donned our best pirate look and headed to Kodylenia's taverna for a great meal. What I loved about this place is that they walk you into the kitchen to show you what food they are offering that day and then you pick. After dinner, the music and disco ball were activated and we mighty pirates danced the night away. After leaving Hydra we headed to Kythnos.



On our way to Kythnos, Rog threw out a fishing line and caught a 20lb+ tuna. It was perfect timing as we had planned to anchor our boat off the shores of Kythnos and swim to shore for a beach barb-b-que. The tuna was a great addition. Captain Steve filleted it and served us sushi right on the beach. First Mate Nik grilled the rest and we enjoyed Tuna for days. It was a great night as we anchored in Kolona Bay and got to see hundreds of stars from the beach and boat. Also, many enjoyed the natural springs hot tub on the beach. Although it was really made for one person, many took turns enjoying it long into the night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb