A hostel? Really? Yes.


Advertisement
Europe
May 13th 2016
Published: May 13th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Hostels vs Hotels:



Many friends have asked, what is a hostel like? Do you like staying in them? Well, sometimes. It's a great way to meet other travelers and the reception is way more helpful than at hotels. In fact, most hostel's employees are travelers that decided to stay for a while in one spot, work, and get a free bed. So they know what is good, what is inexpensive and where the best beverages are to be had. For the most part, I think hostels get a bad rap. They aren't full of spring breakers and bachelor parties. In fact, I hardly see any of those types in hostels. Most hostels welcome all ages. I have stayed with people in their 60s and 20s. Most guests are backpackers but there are many families and business travelers. Dorm rooms vary from four beds to up to 20 (rarely that many; I would say ten is more common). Prices in Europe rage from 8€-30€ a bed (excluding holidays). So far they all included linens and blanket. Most have been comfortable and modern. Some, but not most, include towels (about half the time for a fee). Most also have large lockers that fit up to an 85 liter backpack (Jordan's size). Updated hostel chains have electric key entry lockers, but in most have you use your own lock or rent one from the hostel. A lock is worth the investment.

Rooms: Hostels usually have private rooms. Many times the private double room is only a few euros per person more than two dorm beds. For the extra security and privacy, it's totally worth it. It's nice to spread out when you can, especially if you're staying more than one night. You may still have to share a bathroom, but I have never waited in line for one and they are pretty damn clean. We wear flip flops, just in case. Invest in them.

Food and Beverage: While hostels don't have room service, most have a full kitchen stocked with some spices, pots and pans, plates, glasses and utensils. If you time your cooking correctly, it can really be relaxing to whip up a meal while sipping on local wine. And if you make new friends whilst cooking, you can feed them too. While a majority of the hostel don't have bars, most offer beers at reception at about 2-4€. The downside to staying at a place that has full blown bars is you usually can't bring in your own booze, but it is convenient as hell. Just remember to have local currency-no room charges here.

Amenities: Like mentioned above, linens, lockers and sometimes towels are included. Some have hairdryers and shampoo dispensers in the bathrooms, some have TVs, board games, funky cool sitting areas and computers hooked up to the Internet. But all have free wifi. Free wifi is the most important feature for any of our accommodations since we don't have a data plan or a working phone number. We just have our four devices -- iPhone 5, iPad, kindle and a small laptop. On any given night, we've got all of them out, researching, mapping, downloading, uploading and streaming. That being said, outlets are a necessity. Make sure you bring your own power outlet adapter. Hostel rooms all seem to have an outlet, a shelf, and a small light in each bunk bed. Genius! And at the very hip places, a curtain is hung between each bunk for privacy. I got creative at places that don't have them and tuck my travel towel into the top bunk. Works well but if only it would keep the snoring out.

All that being said, its up to you when traveling to decide your level of comfort. If you decide to use hostels (you should), here is a handy list.

Hostel do's and don'ts:




1. Do introduce yourself. It's a long awkward night if the person sleeping 5 feet from you isn't at least on a first name basis.

2. Don't travel with plastic shopping bags. Please! Waking up to continuous crinkling plastic sound is borderline infuriating. Seriously, can't you hear it loud and clear in the silence of the room (minus a couple of snores)? We don't use plastic. Period. Don't do it!

3. Do move your belonging to the hallway to organize when your departure is before checkout time AND people are sleeping. Especially if you organize with PLASTIC bags!

4. Don't come back at 2 am drunk and realize you have forgotten the location of all your stuff. Before you go out, leave your PJs and toothbrush/paste on your pillow. No matter how drunk you are, it's manageable.

5. That being said, do wear PJs. If you went to bed and all the beds weren't assigned yet, it doesn't mean that you aren't going to wake up to a room full of backpackers. No one signed up to see your ass. It's not an amenity no matter how nice it is.

6. Don't shit in an en-suite bathroom (unless it's an emergency, JORDAN), if one is available. There are other bathrooms in the hostel (you would think this is common sense but no)

7. Do wear earplugs and don't complain about my snoring, JORDAN

8. Don't forget that dorm rooms are shared rooms. If you get bashful being in your underwear, don't hang out in your skivvies when someone can potentially walk through the door at any moment.

9. Do use the knowledge of hostel-goers to your advantage. Sometimes, they have been where you just arrived for many days. Their advice could change all of your plans at a moment's notice, and probably save you money.

10. Don't forget to keep your mind open an enjoy yourself!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb