Our La Spezia visit


Advertisement
Europe
July 13th 2015
Published: July 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hi, am enjoying our stay in La Spezia. We had a lay day on the first full day after 12 hrs on the train, which was great. Just walked down to the harbour. There was a cruise boat in port, this is a large port with commercial, container terminal, fishing and tourism, local and ocean going.

There are fruit, fish, cheese, and meat markets to lunch time each day In the centre of the city. Purchased some Parma ham (which is thought to be a premium ham of the world). Parma is an area about 130kms away. Also purchased some goat cheese, mixed reaction to the taste from Mary and Peter.

Day two we caught the ferry to Monterosso, the most further of the Cinque Terre towns. Very packed with school holidays and the weekend. Got off at two towns. They are all lovely in their own way. There was a tour group of Austrailians on the same ferry. Mary had her daily ice cream. Then at Portovenere where there was a stop, Mary had 'fish and chips' in their separate paper cones. I got some cheese from the super market To go with the chips. The fish was tempera squid, baby octopus and prawns. Not as good as Yeppoon.

Next day we caught the train back to Monterosso to walk back to Vernazza. Took two hours, the going down was a little challenging. Had lunch in the village which was nice. As it was Sunday and the italians love the beach, it was packed. Could not get over the crowd on the train, families including the buckets and spades etc, couples and tourists. On the beach you hire a beach umbrella and chairs and get access to ply wood change rooms. Could not believe the crowds and sun baking on sand, gravel and rocks.

caught the train back, you need a walking pass and can purchase the pass and your return train ticket for 12 euro. I went again today and Mary went window shopping As most of the shops are closed on Mondays. I did the Vernazza to Corniglia section which took about 1 hr. Although had an unplanned adventure, catching the express train Genova for over an hour. Thought it was a regional train that stopped at all stations. Caught a regional train back for my walk, took about 1.5 hrs.

Still hot about 30c plus although overcast this morning, now clear. Thinking about a bus trip to another beach tomorrow. I have not had a swim as yet.

Went to mass last night at one of the two church's that are only about 6 blocks apart. Not many there for 6.00pm.

Hi Mary here. My private suitcase porter was wise in allowing me to browse the shops today while he flew into Genoa on the fast train, and back again to the Cinque Terre region to do his climb. Most of the shops here are closed on a Monday, they don't open till later, they have a siesta, and I had said I would be back at the apartment by 2 pm with the key! Never mind I enjoyed my stroll around and did try to squeeze into some Italian garments. My big feet were oversized for most of the lovely little leather sandals too! After Peter got back we went to the supermarket and purchased some ok gluten free beer, maize/corn crackers and gf bread. My little friend there put me on to them a few days ago when I asked! We are eating well when Peter cooks. Salmon and veg last night (of course with the obligatory mushrooms, olives and onions) as well as the frozen peas and carrots. It was good. Tonight he is creating an Italian salad dressing to go with a rice and Greek salad with fish! I am very lucky, sometimes nicer to eat in than out. This is our last apartment, going to hotels and b&b'so last chance of cooking unless we score one in Ireland for a few days. We still have a battle and a few swear words at the washing machines??!

Bye for now from La Spezia

Peter and Mary xx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb