8 of The Most Expensive Countries in the World and How You Can Visit Them For Less


Advertisement
Europe
November 19th 2014
Published: November 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Too often are would-be travellers deterred from worldly destinations by the price tag that comes with them—be it extortionate accommodation rates or eye-popping drinks prices. Here are some of the most expensive spots on the planet, and a few tips on how to do them on the cheap.

Russia

With Russia’s reputation as a jet setter destination revolving largely around its two booming metropolitan cores—St Petersburg and Moscow—travellers can be sure to save some cash by avoiding these hotspots. Perhaps a jaunt to the dramatic Steppe is in order, or maybe a trip to the wild forests of Siberia?

Singapore

Pristine, perfect Singapore is a mix of shimmering high-rises, suited bankers, and chic harbourside bistros, all with a fairly hefty price tag to match. Try to save some money on your food bill here by heading to districts like Little India, where not only are the prices a little easier to handle, but the curries are some of the best this side of the Malaccan Strait and there is even a fortune telling parrot there.

Switzerland

Between the pristine peaks of Zermatt and glitzy St Moritz it’s hardly surprising that Switzerland makes it onto this list. Still, there are plenty of opportunities to save on travel costs in the country, with its bargain Eurostar ski trains and wealth of private touring companies offering deals from the mountains to the towns.

Iceland

Since the economic meltdown in 2008 Iceland has become a much more affordable place. Food, alcohol and accommodation is still fairly pricey but it is great quality. You can save on accommodation by using companies like Wimdu to rent apartments rather than booking a hotel. Prices for most things are about the same as London and there is loads to see and do – if you hire a car and make friends with a local you can save yourself a fortune.

Norway

With $25 cocktails and $15 beers, it’s no secret that Norway presents one seriously hefty bill to travellers. Unfortunately the soaring prices are difficult to escape in the cities, with hotel rooms and transport coming in as some of the most expensive on the continent. However, spots like Bergen and Oslo do have a whole range of free attractions to enjoy, from winter ice rinks to leafy parks, which is great news for anyone looking to keep their spending low.

USA

Granted there are a whole host of wallet-friendly destinations in the US, but travellers looking to tick off those bucket-list metropolises of New York and LA will surely beg to differ. Think about grabbing some bargain international data roaming services before you hit town—that way, you can use Google to put you on the path of more off-the-beaten-track, budget-friendly spots.

Sweden

Scandinavia’s second most expensive destination goes to Sweden, where there really is no such thing as a budget trip. A good way of going easy on the wallet here is to book accommodation early, to secure the cheapest rates and availability of the country’s rare bargain digs.

Australia

Strutting your stuff on Bondi Beach or exploring the boho bars of Melbourne has never been a cheap prospect, and flights Down Under have always been notoriously pricey. So, why not try to incorporate your trip to Oz in a round-the-world ticket for greater value for money, or spend some time shopping around for the best air deal going.



This article is written by travel enthusiast, Andrea Crome who works at WorldSIM. WorldSIM specialise in global SIM cards and offer free international roaming in all of these destinations. Find out more by visiting worldsim.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb