Crossing the Atlantic


Advertisement
Europe
July 20th 2014
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Travel Blog





17/07/14

At sea: Throughout the day the Dawn Princess will continue her crossing of the Atlantic Ocean, this huge body of water covers approximately one fifth of the globe and by human understanding is the oldest of the oceans. According to ancient Europeans it was the only ocean that existed, the Greeks and early Romans believed the Atlantic to be just one huge river encircling the world.

Captain Ivan Jerman was replaced in Southampton by Captain Phillip Pickford, who I have met at the Horizon Court, he has been in command for a few days now and I for one am a bit disappointed in his lack of information. With Captain Jerman every day at sea at midday he would give a navigational report as well as the sea conditions for the next 24 hours. Captain Pickford seems to be content to leave the passengers in the dark with his lack of reporting.



18/07/14

At sea: The seas were the roughest we have encountered so far on this voyage, this is to be expected when crossing the Atlantic Ocean. In fact due to the rough sea the promenade deck where everyone walks was closed off yesterday for passenger safety. Since we left Dublin there have been rumours flying around that after the ship offloaded the pilot we ran aground.

In today’s onboard newspaper these rumours are unfounded as in actual fact the sound that was heard by passengers and crew was the anchors being securing into their housings.



19/07/14



At sea: At approximately 8:00 a.m. this morning we passed within 30 nautical miles from where the Titanic sank on the 15th of April 1912, some interesting facts of the Titanic are that the day it hit the iceberg a lifeboat drill was supposed to be held but the Captain cancelled it. There were no binoculars in the Crows Nest as they had been removed, and half the lifeboats were removed before sailing so as to enable more glass viewing decks to be fitted. Most of the passengers that drowned were from third class, and the last surviving passenger died in 2009, she was only two months old at the time of the incident.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.445s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb