Milan & Dubai


Advertisement
Europe
August 11th 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our overnight stay in Milan allowed enough time for us to visit the Douma, the magnificent Cathedral in the middle of this enormous city, as well as some time enjoying the amazing shopping available in the city. It was here in Milan, that we became really adventurous and found our way on the Metro. To these two country kids, this was a big step, and we didn't get lost or get it wrong! As our hotel receptionist told us, "just stay with the yellow line" and you can't go wrong. Thank goodness for helpful locals!

On our arrival into Dubai airport at 6.25am and reaching our hotel at 7.30am, we found we only had about 20 minutes in which to have quick showers, a very quick cup of tea and enjoy the last two muesli bars I still had, before being collected at 8.00am for our Arabian City Tour! Our tour ended with a short boat trip in a Dhow, the traditional Arabian boat, which to us across to souks. All this on no sleep during the flight to Dubai due to very unhappy and over-tired babies on our flight. What else could we do but watch yet another on-board movie?! As Dubai had put on its best temperature for our visit, 44 degrees, after the tour, we decided not to go any further afield than to have a late lunch at our hotel and a well-earned rest. Needless to say, dinner was also had in the comfort of the hotel's air conditioning.

We were very happy to hear our Emirates' pilot announce upon approach to Brisbane early on Friday morning, "the current temperature in Brisbane is 10 degrees." What a welcome relief after 44 degrees!

Our Travels On Reflection:

We have travelled through four countries, encountered four languages and numerous cultures, travelled on 24 trains, taken numerous boat trips on canals, rivers and the sea, several airline flights, climbed hundreds of steps, walked unknown kilometres and met wonderful people of all nationalities, Aussies included! Our "last looks" from our balconies and windows before moving on to the next destination, always had us feeling amazed and in awe. We will always remember Lake Luzern at sunrise, the swans gliding gracefully across the glass-like surface; the long avenue of chestnut trees along the lakeside in front of our gracious old hotel providing welcome shade for the tourists and locals alike.

So many other wonderful memories of every place we have visited without doubt, confirms this has been a trip of a lifetime for us.

Tomorrow, it's back to work! We hope you have enjoyed this brief 'first attempt' at blogging!

Bonjourno, Bonjour, Auf Wiedersehen, Salute, Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb