Day 7 - Venice Area - Assisi - Rome by Night


Advertisement
Europe
July 14th 2006
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we have a long but interesting drive southward, cutting through the area of Georgia. The area famous for being a large fishing area, specialising in Muscles. We further travelled across the Po valley, again well know for fishing of eels, as well as bird watching (more shooting than watching we think). Later we joined the expressway which skirts the adriatic coastal region, another very pretty drive through typical Italian countryside.

After crossing the Apennies, we stopped in Assisi, where StFrancis was born in 1182. We had an hour to tour the Bascilia commissioned by the Pope after the death of StFrancis.. The Basilica was authorised by the Pope prior to the death of the Patron Saint of Italy - StFrancis, although, it took only around 2 years to complete.
The Basilica is split into an upper / lower chapel plus there is also a downstairs tomb where the tomb of St Francis resides. Overall - Quite impressive!.

Back on the road, we headed for Rome, again we took the optional tour of of the City by Night. Our night tour including some of the City's fountains and majestic squares. Pizza Barberini, Triton Fountain, Via Veneto, Villa Borghese and Trevi Fountain. Later we finished the evening with a 4 course meal in a traditional Roman restaurant with lots of wine and music included. The nigh was a great laugh and finished with an encore performance of That's Amore' (Never want to hear that song again!), followed by Roses ans a kiss of a cheesy Italian for the
Lady's. It was fun though, and a great laugh.

Highlight of the night were as follows:
* Drive home past the colossium, under lights! A great picture postcard moment.
* Our first double bed In Europe. All rooms have been with Twin singles, and bare resembilance to my Ironing board at home!! We were one of the lucky couples to experience a double bed, However this was short lived, as the room also came complete with a water fountain. The shower several floors up from our room was runnning down the walls of the hotel, and came through the roof in our bathroon. Nice!!, So it was back to the singles in a new room.

Ciao


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb