Brussels, BEL


Advertisement
Europe
July 24th 2012
Published: July 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Brussels was one place that we didn't know that much about and really didn't know what to expect, with the possible exception of chocolate and waffles! We began the day at the site of the 1958 Universal Expo. The Expo grounds are beautiful and when you visit it is hard to believe the buildings and site are almost 55 years old. The main tourist attraction for the 58 Expo was the Atomium. At the base of the Atomium is Mini Europe. The Mini Europe attraction would certainly be one way to learn the history and visit all of Europe on a budget. The models are incredibly detailed and informative.

After Mini Europe, we did a tour inside of the Atomium. A series of stairs, elevators and escalators take you throughout the tour. Each one of the atoms has a different exhibit within it and then there is a restaurant at the top.

Right beside Mini Europe is also a water park. We haven't talked about weather much, but we have been SUPER lucky. Every single day has been sunny with almost zero cloud and temperatures between 27 and 32 degrees. This day was no different so we checked out the water park. It was the coolest park we have ever been to and there wasn't a single slide that we had seen before. Everything from a slide that took your time, to one that dumped you into a super deep pool, to the Chameleon slide where you could choose the LED colours inside the slide.

We then headed downtown to the Comic Strip Museum. It was lame! For us at least - but we did get a picture or two with a smurf, so that was worth the trip.

After the museum visit we just walked around downtown and visited the famous town square. In August, it is completely covered with flowers. Crazy the detail in the architecture of so many of these old buildings. After our walk it was back to the car and on to Amsterdam.

We've scheduled a bit of a rest day tomorrow in Amsterdam - including a sleep in day, laundry, the beach and a movie...it's been a busy first week and we are looking forward to a rest day (while on vacation - haha)!

Have a great day!
Kristy & Will


Additional photos below
Photos: 173, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



26th July 2012

Love reading and looking at the pictures. Miss you

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb