Munich, GER / Innsbruck, AUS / Venice, ITA


Advertisement
Europe
July 20th 2012
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Greetings!

So we left Edmonton on July 18th at just past noon to fly to Toronto. We left there shortly after 8:00pm and arrived safe and sound in Munich, Germany at approx. 10:30am local time. The flight was pretty uneventful and we may have taken some pills to aid in restful sleep, despite the whaling baby seated in the row behind us!

The airport and customs were super efficient and fast, with the exception of our car rental. Never in our lives had we seen such a line up of people waiting to rent vehichles - and not just at our rental company - all of them! We ended up however with a very sweet ride - an Audi A4.

So, after getting our car, luggage and eventually figuring out how to put the car in reverse we were off to Innsbuck, Austria. Innsbruck is the second of many (after Munich), Olympic cities we are visiting on our trip. We visited the Alpenzoo there (a few pictures are included) and as Canadians, stangely enough saw our first moose (aka swamp donkeys) and beavers up close and person - insert joke here.

Right beside the zoo is one of the longest cable cars in the world. It took a series of 3 cable cars in fact, in order for us to get to the top of a mountain and be nearly 3km above sea level. We'd both love to tell you the name of the mountain, but only realized after the fact that we actually have no idea what it was called!

On to Venice, Italy...Clarke, brace yourself, but the minimum speed limit between Innsbruck and Venice is 130km/h...and that's what the grannies drive at. Bernie...it is an Audi's dream come true. Needless to say, we got to Venice slightly faster than Google Maps had originally planned. Once in Venice and check in at our Holiday Inn hotel, we made our way into (again Clarke, please sit down), Venice on the public bus. We had dinner in Venice and then returned to our hotel.

Long day right...that was the end of July 19th for us.

July 20th began the same way the previous day ended (no not at the hotel - although it did), but back on the public bus and heading to Venice to spend a day getting lost within its maze of streets and canals. It really is like nothing we've ever seen or experienced before. It takes you a good few hours to realize you are not on the set of some high budget film. We visited all of the 'tourist' attractions like St. Marc's Basillica and Doge's Palace, etc. but we took great pride it going off the main streets and literally walking many kilomoteres with no clue where we were...eventually, we found our way back on a water bus.

We ended our time in Venice with an amazing, traditional, Italian meal...many courses, so full at the end - not surprising this particular restaurant has been around since 1892. A few pictures of Venice are also included.

Cheers,

Will & Kristy


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



21st July 2012

Trip
Hey Guys, just read your blog and saw the pictures. Truly amazing pictures, sounds like you guys are having a great time. Nice ride Audi A4!! Take care, love you guys, see you soon. Mom & Bernie
23rd July 2012

Wow
Finally got a chance to be at a computer and check out the blog. What an amazing journey. Can't wait to see and read every day. Love you.

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb