Day 3 – Sneaky Showers and Glorious Galway


Advertisement
Europe
July 18th 2012
Published: July 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So, no jetlag! Thank goodness. After a much-needed night of sleep, Diana and I woke up and decided showers were going to be very necessary. Little did we know, these showers are not normal. They consist of a push button that only allows the water to run for about 90 seconds and if you don’t push the button again before the times up, you will get a lovely splash of cold water when you turn it back on. One temperature, one button, kind of ghetto.





After facing the terror of the shower, we met up with the rest of our group to venture out on a bus tour of Galway. The city is more beautiful than I could’ve ever imagined. We got a chance not only to see the main shopping and trendy area as well as all the suburbs and quaint farm-like homes. The city is not very big so the bus tour was brief, which turned out to be a good thing because on a double-decker bus with rain and wind, shorter duration is better.



By the time we got off of the bus, lunch was a must. Diana, Spencer, and I came across a pub/restaurant called Finnegan’s. The food was amazing, and I’m not just saying that because I could’ve eaten a whole hippo in that moment. I ordered a Cajun Chicken Panini with salt and vinegar fries. It was a safe choice. I’m beginning to realize that when it comes to food, the safe choice isn’t always a bad choice. I’ll update later on my ability (or inability) to continue picking good foods.



After lunch Diana and I decided we wanted to go ahead and jewelry shop. A popular gift item in Galway is the Claddaugh ring. It originated in an area ri…. The ring itself is quaint but the message and story behind it are lovely. We searched in about 4 different stores to be sure we got the best quality and price and eventually settled. We were very pleased with our purchases and decided to move on the bookstore, which is massive. They literally have any book you could ever imagine, endless possibilities! Although overwhelming, I did not give in to the store and managed to make it out with the same Euro I brought in. A small victory.



For our night excursion, Diana and I decided to experience the Galway night life, which apparently doesn’t start until 11 pm, since that’s technically when it becomes dark. Weird. So we wandered a bit around Shop Street, which is very popular at night, and we managed to find a few different places where we were able to experience the Irish culture and flavor. Being able to mingle with people who aren’t so different than me but who come from a totally different background and culture, now that’s cool.



Day 4 is beginning now and we have a whole day of excursions to partake in. It’s definitely going to be a long day!



Goodbye for now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb