Europe Potpourri - 14B


Advertisement
Europe
July 10th 2012
Published: July 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,

We are back at the resort to relax by the pool before we go out again, first for a walk nearby so we can enjoy the beautiful views of Benidorm, Altea and Albir at night. We just returned from having lunch in a "small" town south of here called Villajoyosa. Imagine having a pasta meal with a rerfeshing Spanish drink (a bit like Sangria but sparkling), desert and cafe con leche for only Euro 7.95 each. Stretching out before us was one of the better Mediterranean beaches we have been to - sand and not pebbles. We are considering returning here probably tomorrow for a sea bath if we do not end up at a beach closer to benidorm that had been recommended to us. We parked our car on the street and took a wak to find the beach. It happened to be close by with a simple walk down to it on a comfortable wide walkway.

The return suited Jeanette just fine. We were surprised to find three escalators to take us with ease back to street level and our car.

What I find most interesting and great is how the Spanish have made their beaches accessible by the public unlike most of the Caribbean islands where access is subtly restricted by various techniques. Here next to the beach is a beautiful palm ringed boardwalk, a narrow one way trafficed road then the hotels and restaurants.

Now I simply have to share an experience we both had earlier in the day. We had made an appointment downtown to have our hair cut later in the day but decided to show up to see whether they could accommodate us earlier. And didn't they ever! We were warmly greeted by the Flemish owner and his lovely wife. While Jeanette was having her hair washed we were offered coffee and served cafe con leche on silver trays accompanied by chocolates.

The experience for both of us was simply wonderful and we were treated in a most professional manner with such warmth that we wanted to continue enjoying the moment. We were never rushed and he simply let the many clients that showed up either wait patiently or return later.

I learned that they had moved to the area from Antwerp, Belgium.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb