Mykonos and Aegina


Advertisement
Europe
September 9th 2011
Published: September 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday we arrived at the Greek party island of Mykonos. We were both pretty exhausted from our big day in Santorini, but still couldn’t sleep in past 7am! We took our time getting ready in the morning and then made our way to the tender. At the port we booked tickets to the island of Delos, a major and important archaeological site. We had almost an hour til the ferry, so we decided to go for a walk through Mykonos Town. We had read about the windy little lane ways in the guide book and how easy (and frustrating) it is to get lost. Having a pretty good sense of direction though, we thought we would be fine. Ha, after about 15 mins of walking through tiny streets and not seeing the water front, and knowing that we had walked much further than we had planned to, I started to get worried! We eventually found our way out, a few hundred meters further than we had attended – but at least we got out of that maze! We made our way back to the pier and onto our ferry to Delos. Unfortunately it was a very windy day and the ferry to Delos was a bit tough – around 40mins rolling around in the swell and I wasn’t the only one looking a little green... The ruins were ok, but as we didn’t have a guide it was difficult to know what we were looking at much of the time. Also, the ruins haven’t been restored nearly as well as Ephesus (or even Priene). We took the arvo easy and also did some chores (washing etc).

Then on Friday, our last day of the cruise, we arrived in Aegina, a small island only 12 kms from Athens. Aegina’s claims to fame are that it was the capital of Greece during the independence fight for two years, is the only place to grow pistachios in Greece and has a beautiful ancient temple. We took the tender to shore and caught a taxi to the Temple of Aphaia, which was built in 500BC, but the site (which has beautiful views) has been used for worship since 1300BC. The ruins have been well restored and the temple is impressive. The taxi then dropped us off at the resort town of Ayia Marina. We had a look around the town and beach, before catching a local bus back to Aegina Town.


Advertisement



12th September 2011

Lions
Those lions look more like seals to me! So did the cruise meet your expectations? Was the food good? Emma :-)

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb