Amsterdam


Advertisement
Europe
June 5th 2011
Published: June 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday the 29th we were still in Galway and decided to go and see some Irish dancing.
Our only issue was transportation.  We decided to take the bus into the city, and then transfer buses to go to salt hill were the performance was. Unfortunately the buses are not very reliable, and Luke and I have no idea were we are to catch them from.
We missed the first bus from the city to salt hill because we were standing at the wrong location. The following bus was to come at 7.15, but never showed. So we are currently waiting on the 7.35 bus. We are very lucky that we left so early to see this show, otherwise we would be in trouble.

The show is called trad on the prom and is from the producers of river dance and lord of the dance. It is a combination of Irish music, dancing and singing.


.... Sorry guys, it's been ages since we last wrote, but I'll try and catch everyone up now..... 

We flew out from Dublin on the 31st, and landed in Amsterdam. Once we arrived we had to jump on a train to the city and then catch a tram to our hostel. This all seemed very simple and easy, however Luke and I managed to jump on the wrong train. What is worse is that we did not realize. The announcements of the locations are in Dutch, and there are no diagrams of where the train is heading, so it wasn't until a lady came by checking tickets that we realized that we had just travelled 30 minutes in the wrong direction. We had to catch a train back into the airport, find the right train. Took us 2hours to get to the accommodation. The flight was only 45 minutes.

Prior to arriving in amsterdam We met a bloke from Canada named Brett who mentioned that he is living in amsterdam and we started speaking trying to scope out the best places to visit and he arranged for us to pick up his museum cards for us to enter into the museums for free *SCORE* 

It is currently our last day in Amsterdam. We have got up early to fit in as much as we can forgetting that it is Sunday, therefore nothing is open, it's wet, cold and miserable but we are in shorts and a top sucking on a apple and pear thick shake in Maccas at 10.30.  

While we have been in amsterdam we have gone to see the historical museum, rijks museum and Anne franks house. The painting of the night watchman was amazing, it's unbelievable that someone actually had the talent and patience to paint it with so much detail and for a lunatic to decide to attack the painting in the 70's

We  were planning to get up early to see Ann franks house, but we slept in (lukes attempt to set an alarm) by the time we arrived the line was a few blocks long, so we decided that we would wait and go back in the evening. Even then we waited about an hour to gain entrance, but it was totally worth the wait. There house was amazing and it puts it all into perspective knowing somewhat what they endured with having to remain quiet, having blackout curtains but still unable to turn on the lights so it doesn't raise suspicion towards the power bills and how steep the hidden stair case is.

We also managed to spend a few days looking for the I am Amsterdam sign. The people at our hostel are not very helpful and therefore unable to give us directions (we also have been having cold showers!!) but luckily we found it yesterday. To our dismay we realized that it is just behind the risjkmuseum, and we managed to walk directly past the sign with out even realizing it. We felt like idiots for a little bit but it was great fun climbing all over the sign :-)

Apart from that we have gone on a few walking tours, pub crawls and managed to walk almost the entire city. We have defiantly found 30. Though yesterday luke started to feel a bit coldie, particularly last night when he asked if we could catch a tram because he didn't want to walk. Normally it's me saying that I can't walk any further.

Amsterdam is the first location where people drive on the wrong side of the road, when you add in mass cyclists who are just crazy (Luke calls them phsycolists) it is quite interesting trying to cross the road. The cyclists have right of way, therefore a pedestrian is at fault if there is a crash, which we have seen a few. 

Tomorrow we get to pick up the van!!! We can't wait. Luke and I are already planning what we are going to buy for our van. So far we haven't bought much, as we know that we would just have to carry it. But with a van, it doesn't matter as much. My first item is going to be a massive mug so I can have proper tea and coffee. Every location has only had the tiny little cups, and the drinks just don't taste as nice. We already have the nescafe gold to fill it up.  Luke wants to buy a torch. He decided to leave his good torch which Mick gave him at home. It weighed about 1kg, since then he has been browsing the shops for a new torch to buy. It seems crazy though seeing as though the sun goes down just after 10pm.


Tomorrow we leave early to pick up the van. Then we will drive west to see the tulip fields and the deltas. We will probably camp the night on the west coast.  The following day we will then drive east across the Netherlands to Germany. We bought a book with all the roads in Europe so we have the first two days of driving already planned. It is really exciting getting to pick where to go and having unlimited options. just have to worry about driving, fuel and sleeping places other than. That no problemo!

We got to go and brave the cold weather. We are starting to feel guilty about sitting in mcdonalds for so long. Today we have to give back the cards, find a phone and confirm the van pick up, buy cold and flu tablets, Luke wants to buy pillows, and if we have time do some laundry (it's been way too long since we last found a washing machine).

Love you all, talk soon
The smelly ones!!!






Advertisement



6th June 2011

Hello from Langkawi
Hi guys, hope Luke is feeling a little better. We are off on a yatch trip tomorrow (free wet bar all day which Luke would have loved). Off to KL the next day. Been good so far. Keep blogging and having fun. Love ya's. xox

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb