Eighth Day


Advertisement
Europe
June 1st 2011
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

1st June. Nuremburg. Today was the trip to the most interesting Nazi museum the Congress Hall, very sobering. The size of the building was immense. The architecture was heavily influenced by the ancient Greeks and Romans and the Congress Hall looked just like the Coliseum. The tour of the Documentation centre, which was housed in the Congress Hall, could have taken all day. So very informative, it’s interesting that the Germans have acknowledged the atrocities of the 2nd world war and want all their citizens to know what happened so it won’t happen again.
The weather was probably the same here as in Armidale – cold and wet. Scenic just look after everything, if we had wanted to we could have gone into town again this arvo for free time but John & I took the opportunity to call the fam and have a Nanna nap. Scenic have their own buses in Nuremburg not sure if they are travelling or just stay here. The guides they employ are so knowledgeable and obliging.
This evening we had our Portobello restaurant night. Every guest gets at least one night in Portobello’s, which is a little bit exclusive just around 26 guests with a 7-course dinner, but each course is small, really delicious. These dinners are served in the upstairs lounge with the view out the front of the boat. While having our dinner we went through the biggest lock, 25 metres up so very interesting especially for Engineer Johnny. He took lots of photos. We have only 1 more lock to go up then we are on our way ‘down’ which will also be very fascinating.
Tomorrow we go to Regensburg it’s an afternoon walking tour so sailing all morning but we will have an Oompa-pa band with traditional Bavarian lunch. Hope there isn’t more beer. All I can think of is the scene in Home Alone where the Mum gets a lift home with the Polka Kings of the mid west… (Polka Polka Polka) Perhaps not quite the same but could be interesting. We are threatening to buy Johnny some lederhosen- I think it works… As is usual he has endeared himself to other guests. The women love him of course, a few hit him again of course but its generally lots of fun for us both.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



2nd June 2011

Yes!! Buy him some Lederhosen - and get Bridie a dirndl, she's always wanted one apparently. Bavaria is the best place to get them :) Perfect gift...

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb