Welcome to Venice... Sort of


Advertisement
Europe
May 31st 2011
Published: May 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well, after leaving France we've made it to Italy! It was definitely an interesting morning aboard the no frills Ryanair and finally arriving in Treviso airport. The bus ride from there to Mestre (the little town 10 mins from Venice proper) wasn't too long but finding our way to the hotel certainly took its toll.

It seems that 800 meters from the train station is open to interpretation after all... 30 mins walking later we reached Park Hotel Ai Pini, our home base for the next three days. It's a gorgeous 4star hotel and the room is about five times the size of our little Paris cubbyhole ... So about the size of a normal room back home. It does have beautiful gardens and all of the flowers seem to be in full bloom (very fragrant!).

The weather here is certainly warmer than Paris, at about 24 when we landed and finally cooling off now. unfortunately, our stomachs haven't aligned with the local times, as dinner seems to be strictly served only between 7:30 and 9:30. Want to eat outside of those times? You must be crazy!

6:30 ... Turned away at the restaurant. Too soon
7:00... Nap time!
10:00... Oops! Long nap. Let's go eat
10:15... Sorry, nothing's open

We did end up getting the front desk clerk to call his friend down the road and I picked up a pizza (our first authentic Italian pizza!) so at least we didn't go hungry.

Still having trouble believing how difficult it is to get wifi or data here. The wifi only works in the lobby and data plans cost $25/MB. I guess that just means we won't be spending a lot of time online...

Anyhow, we're both pretty exhausted so that's all for now. We'll try to write again tomorrow after spending the entire day getting lost in Venice.

Chow4now!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb